Regional Settings

Hello, I’m new to Linux in general. I’m switching from Windows 10. I looked over Linux distros and chose Manjaro with KDE plasma. So far, I like it, looks very configurable OS, however I don’t know it well and I have few problems how to configure it like I want.

My first problem is system language: I live in Georgia, so I chose Georgia location and if I go to system settings, formats and region, it’s Georgia, however whole system language also changed to Georgian language which I don’t want. I want system language to be English, but at the same time have Georgia in region settings. How do I do that? Right now, I changed region to “Default C”, it changed system language to English, but I guess my real region isn’t set to Georgia. So, how do I set region to Georgia but keep OS language in English?

Keep your locale settings from system settings to Georgia.

Then sudo nano /etc/locale.conf and update the first LANG and Lanugage field to en_US.UTF-8, example LANG=en_US.UTF-8. Keep the other fields since the rests are for Georgia.

Reboot afterward.

1 Like

I pasted it in terminal, but I think it says bad pattern or something:

~ > ^[[200~sudo nano /etc/locale.conf ~
[200~sudo nano /etc/locale.conf ~zsh: bad pattern: ^[[200~sudo

Make sure you’re precise at copying the text within the preformatted region.

Anyway I provide the unformatted command below:

sudo nano /etc/locale.conf

Or just type manually the command.

I did, but now terminal gave me list, but I don’t know what to do:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=ka_GE.UTF-8

Also, as you see first thing “LANG=en_US.UTF-8” is in English, but menus are still in Georgian, even terminal menus, also it’s not finished work as I see, for example some menus are still English.

Running locale on terminal after you edited the configuration file /etc/locale.conf should display:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=ka_GE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=ka_GE.UTF-8

Then you need to restart the system for the changes to take effect.

This is nano, it’s a text editor. Use arrow keys to navigate and just type like other text editor you know (notepad, notepad++, etc). The short manual should be displayed below the terminal screen.
^ means the Ctrl key.

But it seems the LANG is already English. So you may just want to restart.

I restarted, but it’s system is still in Georgian.

Just to clarify that you actually want your location only set to Georgia? You want to change the system language, calendar, unit measurement, currenct etc to English? Then what you should do is to modify the /etc/locale.conf:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=en_US.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

Or just choose your locale setting from “system settings → regional settings → formats” to English.

In your original question, what Georgia region settings means is the Georgia locale settings (date, currency, calendar, unit measurement, etc in Georgia style). What you actually wanted was your timezone to be Georgia, not the region / locale settings.

You can do this by “system settings → regional settings → date & time → time zone → choose your timezone to Georgia”. Also make sure “system settings → regional settings → date & time → date and time → set date time automatically” to on.

And make sure to delete your local locale setting /home/YOUR_USERNAME/.xprofile if exists.

You actually fixed my problem. Seems like I didn’t know what regional settings was. I thought Internet websites would detect my location based on a country set in regional settings. I want in my OS to be everything in English (US) besides currency and measurement units and I like date format of Canada. Now as I see what regional settings mean, I think it’s best to set it in English (US) and change date format to Canada and currency and measurement units to Georgia.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.