Refreshing old (now borked) Manjaro installation

I used Manjaro (and other distros) a lot a few years back and just this week decided to get back into it on my old laptop. I did a complete update and found that I’ve borked things.

Rather than spending hours in the weeds and high grass, I think I’d just like to do a fresh install from a new Manjaro download. However, I’d like to keep my existing data intact.

In the past, I would usually wipe a disk before installing a new distro.

QUESTION: Is there an easy, sure way to do a fresh install and keep all my existing data?

Thank you. I should know the answers, but I can’t remember. Too long in the Mac world.

-varxx

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I am going to quote myself from another thread, where the original poster had a similar problem… :arrow_down:

I would also advise you to create a separate partition for /home , if you don’t have one. If you then ever need to start all over again, then you can tell the installer not to format /home, and then your data won’t be at risk.

I would also advise you to create a separate partition for /home , if you don’t have one. If you then ever need to start all over again, then you can tell the installer not to format /home , and then your data won’t be at risk.

OK, this may be the solution. My existing installing has a separate /home. I just couldn’t remember if the install routine would let me leave existing directories along.

I’ll download a new installer and dive in. Thank you!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.