Refresh data basis - infinite loop?

Tips for posting

Use a “keyword search” to make sure your question has not already been asked. For example “failed to verify key” or “sound is muted”.

Make sure you include enough detail so people know what you are running. A useful command is inxi -Fxz; copy and paste the text and format as “code” (e.g. use the </> button above).

If possible, paste text rather than upload a photo. Text is easier to read, searchable, and takes up less space on the server. Please don’t upload high-resolution photos.

For more information read this post: How to provide good information in your posts

Remember to remove all of this help text before you post.

[ak@vdesk ~]$ inxi
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-6700 (-MT MCP-) speed/min/max: 800/800/4000 MHz
Kernel: 4.14.39-1-MANJARO x86_64 Up: 3h 17m Mem: 1762.5/15739.6 MiB (11.2%)
HDD: 1.82 TiB (0.3% used) Procs: 187 Shell: bash 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.07
[ak@vdesk ~]$
I attempted to refresh data bases. It seems I am in infinite loop, orat least to big a loop to hande. The updater, presumably the pacman reports "conflicting files - thunar-archive-plugin://usr/lib/xfce4 etc already exists in a file.
There is an option to close, apply, comit.
Having spent about an hour I stopped the process. How can I resolved this thunar plugin archive problem?
OldAl

remove the package engrampa-thunar-plugin before you update

@dalto - big thank you! Sounds a reasonable thing to do - delete the offending package. How do I delete in a least destructive way? I do not know pacman, so how does one delete a package?
So far I used gui for all operations. I do not mind the CLI, but do not want to do something very stupid - so kindly give me the basic instruction, how to delete the package
engrampa-thunar-plugin
and then redo the update?
OldAl

You should have a graphical package manager, either “Add/Remove Software” or “Octopi” in the menus depending on which edition of Manjaro you have. You can open that up and search for the package by name and remove it.

Alternatively, from the terminal, you can type sudo pacman -R engrampa-thunar-plugin

Continuing the discussion from Refresh data basis - infinite loop?:

@ dalto
I followed your suggestion and issued the command:
pacman -R engrampa-thunar-plugin
BTW, I am using the xfce version of manjaro. Thank you for your work and your patience. It seems to have worked as intended and eliminated the “infinite loop effect”.
I used the gui of “Package Manager”. I noticed that the “Package Manager” has a setting to
Remove unrequired dependencies
I would think that perhaps I should set it to YES. (The default is NO).
Your help was a real saving - THANK YOU
OldAl.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.