Redshift : Disable for fullscreen apps (script)

I was looking for a way to disable redshift when playing videos on fullscreen, and the only thing I found working was a script on an 8 year old reddit post.

I’ve tested the script works when I run it from the terminal.
What I’m trying to achieve is to run it automatically.

I’ve tried everything from adding login-script from autostart option in KDE Settings to adding an entry in systemd. But it doesn’t work.

Looking at htop, the script seems to be running when added in autostart menu, but it doesn’t seem to work.
It only works when I manually execute it in the terminal.

I think there is a way to achieve this, I’m new to linux and I can’t figure it out.
Any help is appreciated.

Hello,

I use Redshift + redshifter from the AUR.

Redshifter allows you to control the brightness (also for external monitors) + temperature within the Terminal or with keyboard shortcuts.

For example, this command gives you the full luminosity and full blue light : “redshifter 6500 1”.

In KDE Plasma, but possible in other DE also, I have set a keybinding to this command like this : bash -c “redshifter 6500 1”

You have also commands to adjust just one step up or one step down in the AUR description.

I hope this helps. For me this feature is amazing and I use it all the time.

Kind regards,

For the script to work you must run redshift first. To make sure, put “sleep 30” at the autostart command. This worked for me (sh -c “sleep 30 && ./redshiftoff.sh &”) in xfce desktop
Excuse my bad english.

1 Like

Thank you! This worked for me as well.
I made a desktop entry to make it easier to access and added to autostart applications

[Desktop Entry]

Type=Application
Categories=Utility
Name=redshift-fullscr
Icon=redshift
Comment=Disables redshift on fullscreen apps
Path=/home/mkso/.local/bin/
Exec=sh -c "sleep 30 && redshift-fullscr &"
Terminal=false

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.