Red is the new sexy

ryzen

I’m at 11m14s with a slightly smaller kernel.
I want a Ryzen now! :smile:

Hi @philm,

Interesting post you made indeed, I am curious about ryzen though, you said that your system was working right away after you installed your brand new hardware, but I’ve read somewhere (I don’t remember exactly where may be something like Phoronix or some blog sounded like it) that ryzen wasn’t ready yet to run on Linux system until the kernel 4.11.xx been released.
So I am a bit confused here, does your system works because a pre-installed system was already there? (meaning may be it can’t be installed on the fresh installed with the current kernel ?) or did you upgrade your kernel after to make it work ?

Do you encounter some trouble currently with your motherboard ? RAM ? stability ?
I’ve read a lot of complains about the motherboard build on am4, but may be since the start of ryzen some bios upgrades improved and solved the situation ?

I ask those questions because accordingly to what I read on few reviews, feedback aren’t always that good, but we also know internet makes haters more important than the rest, so since we have someone on-board using a ryzen config it could be nice to have some feedback how it goes after few weeks with ryzen on Linux System ?

Some soundchips need Kernel 4.11
All the other stuff works with 4.9.13 and 4.10.0
source: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMD-Ryzen-Newer-Kernel

Mainboards need the newest BIOS update, then they are stable (most of them should have them already flashed as they were sold out at release where the problems still happened)

Interesting link, that’s good to know!
It seems some stuff missing as audio until kernel 4.11 (but not everyone is concerned apparently ,depends on mobo )

Your waiting time has been cut…

Intel will release the “new” Kaby-Lake-X and Skylake-X at May 30th; but it gonna a be a paper launch and the release at June 26th.

On the other hand AMD is releasing(?) in June the new RyZen 9 with 16 Cores (different Socket!)!

For all owners right now:
Watch out for the new released BIOS / UEFI versions for your boards. Especially AGESA was updated and a lot of problems with RAM speed and FMA3 bug solved.
sorry, in german

[quote=“biscuit, post:42, topic:21245”]
Interesting post you made indeed, I am curious about ryzen though, you said that your system was working right away after you installed your brand new hardware, but I’ve read somewhere (I don’t remember exactly where may be something like Phoronix or some blog sounded like it) that ryzen wasn’t ready yet to run on Linux system until the kernel 4.11.xx been released.
So I am a bit confused here, does your system works because a pre-installed system was already there? (meaning may be it can’t be installed on the fresh installed with the current kernel ?) or did you upgrade your kernel after to make it work [/quote]

With Manjaro v17.0.1 we support Ryzen out of the box. v4.9 kernel series has all needed patches. Sure, newer kernels will have even more optimization. Currently I’m running v4.10 kernel series on my system. However even lower kernel series seemed to work.

To answer your question: I simply changed my mainboard, RAM and CPU and kept verything else. Therefore I put it all back together. With the MSI board I was able to boot in legacy mode. So I didn’t had to re-install my current Manjaro systems. I just configured the UEFI Bios to my needs and booted up as I did before with my old BIOS and Phenom CPU I had back then.

Stability was already good. I had some issues with my phone drive via mtp protocol. That was fixed with the first UEFI bios upgrade. Now I’m running the latest bios, which just got released beginning of April. You simply unpack the zip file and boot up to the flash mode, which is really Linux compatible as it is it’s own system. So no need of MSDOS disk as we had back in the days. One downside is, that I didn’t found yet an option to save the settings made. So far I’ve to configure my UEFI bios to my needs after each flash. CPU runs 3.00 GHz stock btw.

Ryzen 3 and 5 are cut down Ryzen 7 CPUs which don’t pass the quality checks, however they are better for games and lower in price. If you need more threads and process power the 7-series is for you …

Manjaro version with kernel 4.11
AMD Ryzen/Threadripper support?

well that explains it.
it’s for @philm’s new Ryzen system.
:wink:

Wooah! That’s an amazing news :tada:

Found unknown chip with ID 0xd352

Seems I found out on how to get the sensors kinda work: modprobe nct6775 force_id=0xd120

Example output:

phil@manjaro ~ $ sensors
nct6793-isa-0a20
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:                    +0.42 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.74 V)
in1:                    +1.03 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in2:                    +3.39 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in3:                    +3.38 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in4:                    +1.01 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in5:                    +0.15 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in6:                    +0.80 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in7:                    +3.38 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in8:                    +3.33 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in9:                    +1.82 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in10:                   +0.00 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)
in11:                   +0.66 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in12:                   +0.90 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in13:                   +0.59 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
in14:                   +1.56 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +0.00 V)  ALARM
fan1:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan2:                   844 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan3:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan4:                     0 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
fan5:                   863 RPM  (min =    0 RPM)
SYSTIN:                 +33.0°C  (high =  +0.0°C, hyst =  +0.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = CPU diode
CPUTIN:                 +30.0°C  (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN0:                +37.0°C  (high = +115.0°C, hyst = +90.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN1:               -128.0°C    sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN2:                +45.0°C    sensor = thermistor
AUXTIN3:                 -4.0°C    sensor = thermistor
SMBUSMASTER 0:          +30.0°C  
PCH_CHIP_CPU_MAX_TEMP:   +0.0°C  
PCH_CHIP_TEMP:           +0.0°C  
PCH_CPU_TEMP:            +0.0°C  
intrusion0:            ALARM
intrusion1:            ALARM
beep_enable:           disabled

Donated. Thanks for an amazing OS, keep up the great work! :slight_smile: