Red is the new sexy

ryzen

I guess the CPU does not run at full speed due to too slow hard drive speed :wink:

Had the same issue when compiling Android builds - HDD is way too slow, and even some SSD’s can’t fill all 8 cores of my FX8350 to permanent 100% ^^ Now guess what 16 fast threads mean to the drive

I’d love to get a new system.
And getting a Ryzen+motherboard+RAM is cheaper than getting a newer i7 kaby lake+motherboard. (old motherboard only supports 2nd and 3rd gen’s)

It’s still pricy though. Around 650 euros / 690 US dollars.

on Tuesday, the 6C/12T CPU’s are released - they will be cheaper, but still more powerful then 4C/8T Kaby Lake CPU’s

And/or set up a RAID. How many SATA interfaces does it have?
Edit: Are the specs correct?

SPECIFICATIONS
Model Name         B350M MORTAR
CPU support        Supports AMD® RYZEN Series processors and
                   7th Gen A-series / AthlonTM Processors for socket AM4
CPU socket         AM4
Chipset            AMD® B350 Chipset
Graphics Interface 1 x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slots + 1 x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot
                   2-way CrossFire
Display Interface  DVI-D, HDMI, DisplayPort
Memory support     4 DIMMs, Dual Channel DDR4-3200(OC)
Expansion slots    2 x PCI-E x1 slots
SATA / M.2 / U.2   4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports, 1 x M.2 slots
USB 3.1 Gen1       8 x USB 3.1 Gen1 (7 x Type-A, 1 x Type-C)
USB 2.0            6 x USB 2.0
LAN                10/100/1000Mbps LAN
Audio              7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
Form Factor        M-ATX

be warned on all skylake and AM4
if you activate M2 /U2 ou use 3.1 USB - 10Gb/s , you will loose some SATA ports

No it isn’t. That’s the way Linux (or inxi) reports the cache. Your system has 4x 4M cache, being each 4M shared among two cores. Your output shows the maximum cache usable by each core. It happens the same to me. I have quad-core with 12M cache, and inxi reports 86M because each 2 cores share 86M. That’s also why I can see a single thread alternating the use along two cores. The first available core will pick up the work on the shared cache unless a program instructs it otherwise.

not true.
It depends on what chipset you use and how many extensions you use.
Also, you won’t loose complete ports, but only speed. (at least on AMD chipsets)
The first thing that happens if you smash in to many extensions on a cheap chipset is, that the PCIe extension ports cut back from PCIe 3.0 to PCIe 2.0
Only if that is not enough (when even more extensions are used), it will cut back the SATA speed from 6GB/s to 3GB/s on some ports. It won’t go further because the boards only have limited slots available.

that said, only a M.2 SSD and/or USB 3.1 will definitely not be enough to trigger any of that behaviour.

The X370 and B350 chipsets will most likely not have that in any situation. Only the cheap A320 and A300 chipsets might come into such situations.

The whole scenario is also true for the Intel-chipsets.

Well that goes without saying around here.

I over bought last time, built a little mini-itx sized machine to use as a firewall/router. Fanless. The little mobo was over powered, (and cheap), quad core, 8gig.
The performance was so amazing it ended up as my Manjaro workstation. Still need a new firewall router.

Should we donate for you too? :grinning:

Please do!
My donate page can be found at:
www.strits.dk

Most of the packages get compiled on that machine. It brings you the latest packages now faster. Also it is our first hardware buy since we started this project. You can read up here about on which things we may spend donations for …

How much is paypal actually eating up? - probably doing the SEPA is the best way I guess?

Exactly. I think that page is the same as when I donated the first two times.

I hope my comment’s intent wasn’t lost in translation. It was encouragement to do exactly as you did. If it wasn’t tax season over here, I’d donate again.

Here some infos about paypal fees.

Not that bad. I’ve seen worst services. I still prefer to use SEPA. The tax is shared, but much lower. Maybe PayPal is better for those living outside Europe.

I’m also lining up for a new 2017 donation. Wire transfer is the way to go :slight_smile:

Also nice to see that Phil now has a really powerful machine at his disposal. It’s entirely merited :slight_smile:

Just did an ISO build …

==> Done [Build ISO]
 --> Time compress_images: 6.68 minutes
==> Finished building [deepin]
 --> Time make_profile: 12.60 minutes

What’s your kernel compilation time? Should be under 10 minutes, no?

a comparison with phoronix benchmark
I7 6900K +X99 – AMD1700 + B350 Asus

time compilation Kernel 4.9 8mn10sec

A little more