Rectangle instead of Text on Dmenu

Hi. I installed manjaro-bspwm via manjaro-architect. I have not installed anything and yet my Dmenu is showing only rectangles after the the icons as shown on the images below. I have noto-fonts installed. Please help me fix this cause its to go on if i cant see the menu correctly.

---

Read the announcement about Pango dropping support for bitmap fonts.

You can use terminess-powerline for replacement of terminus font. Or any other mono space font.

I checked this one. But the forum post is too technical for me to digest. Can there be anyway that I can work this out? So if Pango doesnt support such things, what can a common user like me do now? haha. Sorry for being noob here. Is there any command that I should run or anything that I should install?

So I installed the font from https://github.com/powerline/fonts and set my font on the settings to be one of those mono space fonts. But nothing happens. Am i missing something?

Install noto-fonts-cjk and see if makes a difference. It was mentioned right after the GIT Link announcement.

Isn't noto-fonts-cjk for other asian characters (chineese/japaneese/korean)? Im not any of those...haha.

Ah, you are right :smiley: hehe

I installed it still, and yeah its for other asian languages.

Any other bspwm users here who have made a workaround for this? Im using this for work. But Its hard to continue if the menu is like this.

If the
sudo pacman -S powerline-fonts
and changing the fonts doesn't help

try
pamac build terminess-powerline-font-git
and then change the fonts
This should do it.

Last resort is
downgrade pango
and select a version previous to the last :slight_smile:

Yes, you have to change the font in rofimenu theme, rofi theme, dmenurc, limepanelrc and sterminalrc. All of those have separate config files for fonts.

1 Like

I'm using i3, had the same issue with Terminus and this is what I did.

Hi Chrysostomus, im trying to do what you have said but I have some questions.

On .limepanelrc, I see 3 font entries: mainfont, iconfont and thirdfont. So do I have to change all of these? If I have to change mainfont, i wonder what the extra asteriks and dashes do (--terminus-medium----18-------*).

So here are the fonts I have, Im planning to use "Ubuntu Mono derivative Powerline". Is that a correct font for this?

So here in .dmenurc, the font was set to "Terminus-15" and I dont see that font on my settings font, so probably a different format here to indicate the font I want to use?

Sorry for many questions. Im completely noob to this.

Its the old bitmap font format, no need to think about it since bitmap fonts no longer work. [quote="Gherico63gx, post:12, topic:97717"]
So here are the fonts I have, Im planning to use "Ubuntu Mono derivative Powerline". Is that a correct font for this?
[/quote]

You can use that, or just copy the icon font value to the main font and adjust the size.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark