Recreate i3 community edition on another distro

I’m currently running Manjaro i3wm on my laptop and openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE on my main PC. I really love the i3 community edition, but for my main PC I also enjoy YaST and want to keep my current desktop as an option.

How easy would it be to install i3 alongside KDE and re-create the Manjaro i3 edition? It seems to be fairly vanilla besides a few system maintenance scripts, which wouldn’t translate to zypper. Is it mainly the theming and keybinds I would need to copy over?

Most important things are packages and the i3 config. You can get both of them here:

Links

Config

community/i3/live-overlay/etc/skel/.i3/config · master · Profiles & Settings / iso-profiles · GitLab

Packages

community/i3/Packages-Desktop · master · Profiles & Settings / iso-profiles · GitLab

Well now…

Anyways, you should be able to transfer you home directory, more specifically your ~/.config directory as-is.

That’s kind of what I was thinking - make sure all the relevant packages (or the openSUSE equivalent since names might be different) are installed, then make sure config files are in the right place.

For example I’ve used Endeavour’s i3 edition before but had issues with setting that up elsewhere because they use several scripts for the power menu and Rofi and other stuff, where the Manjaro i3 edition seems to use standard i3 stuff for the most part.

When I ran pacman -Q on a VM install there were a little over 1000 packages, but I assume a lot of that is basic system stuff?

I contribute to that project and its the most easiest thing to replicate including the scripts. On a non arch-based-distro the provided script to install required packages might not work but rofi, powermenu, i3blocks will work on any.

Yes. You’ll only need packages which are mentioned in the config and are uncommented/active like dmenu,xorg-xbacklight etc. Some like pacmanfm like easily be replaced by equivalent programs like maybe thunar by making changes to the config. Give both a try in a vm first.

Gotcha. I may keep Dolphin and Ranger as file managers just to reduce redundancy (since I’m keeping KDE installed), but otherwise that’s helpful.