Recovery of grub Manjaro after a bios update - grub disappeared

I had the idea to update the bios on my motherboard (B450 MSI gaming). I had Windows 10 and Manjaro working fine. After the update my manjaro boot option disappeared. Windows 10 is the only choice and work fine. It seems that grub was remove.
I look around to see a reliable way to restore it but it is all over the place and not up to date.

I have an brand new UEFI system with the boot drive an M2 with windows and manjaro on it.

I tried one which require to mount the efi partition in /mnt/ (/dev/nvme0n1p2) and "sudo grub-install ..." but this part fail with grub-install error : impossible to obtain the canonical path overlay.

Is there a safe procedure to recover grub without reinstalling the dawn thing again ?
Tx

did you go to the bios to re-config your system ?

a bios update will reset back your bios to defaults which

for sure will reactivate secureboot etc ...

Yes first thing I have check and I always disable secure boot (it was always off by default if I remember). After the bios update, the system reboot in CSM mode in windows since I couldn't get into the bios. After reboot I place it back to UEFI (secure boot still off) and windows still work fine. No trace of manjaro though.
UEFI booting is a nightmare to use.

Give this a read. :slight_smile:

with update Bios , pref and profile are reset ,
check all options in bios
CSM , legacy , fastboot off , AHCI for NMVE or SSD ( not raid ) , mays be only keep USB storage
and boot on USB install manjaro

Na that didn't work either. It just create a new windows entry which does nothing. I am pretty familiar with bios and I already check everything. That's not that. There is a couple of grub recovery procedures but I am not sure if they are up to date with all the latest hardware and the rapid change of Linux. Risky.

With the prospect of loosing windows too, I finally decide to re-install Manjaro. A few more hours again to set it all up. From my experience I have never seen a bios update wipe out a boot drive entry. UEFI has seriously complicate thing with startup logic.

So no more bios updates for me ...If it is not broken don't try to fix it.

1 Like

Obviously I'm late to this topic, but should you ever have this problem - and this can happen not just with bios update, but with disconnecting the manjaro drive in uefi and .... never mind), just boot to manjaro using Simple First Start and do a grub-install.

Oh ..... and the grub-install command from outside the OS is not the simple grub-install command.
Neither can you do an update-grub from outside.

Welcome back. Several of these topics have passed without your advice, and I was wondering if you were OK.

Hello, I know that procedure but it is so complex and uncertain in a UEFI system that I didn't bother. Probably the safest bet on a subsequent bios update is to disconnect the boot drive before the update, not to be affected.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark