Recovering after interrupted Update fails: chroot: failed to run command '/bin/bash': Input/output error

Yeah forget about that. Rerun update.

Update ended with error:

(1437/1437) checking for file conflicts
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)

followed bei endless lines like

linux-api-headers: /mnt/usr/include/amd-generic/auxvec.h exists in filesystem

The start terms are

• linux-api-headers
  • tzdata
  • iana-etc
  • filesystem
  • glibc
  • acl
  • gcc-libs
  • alsa-card-profiles
  • alsa-ucm-conf
  • alsa-lib

last line is:

Errors occured, no packages were upgraded

The correct chroot command is sudo manjaro-chroot -a

Eh. Add --overwrite="*" to the end of the command.

worked now and finished without errors.
now try manjaro-chroot -a again?

Now try booting into it.

Error remains

Fehler: Datei "/boot/vmlinuz-6.1-x86:64" nicht gefunden.
Fehler: Sie müssen zuerst den Kernel laden.

Beliebige Taste drücken, um fortzusetzen

That doesn’t make sense but ok. Try chrooting now then and reinstall kernels again.

chroot -a worked
How to reinstall kernels?

is it

sudo mhwd-kernel --install linux61

?

Are you joking? Why would you install Manjaro on someone elses PC if you don’t know even basic commands?

sudo pacman -Syu linux66{,-headers} linux61{,-headers}

Please post output of it.

Why i installed it on someone elses PC: Because she wanted to get away from Windows and I for myself never had any problems using Linux. The user experience for me was just good, never had to have any knowledge, so we thought, it could work. Maybe a false cue.

[manjaro /]# sudo pacman -Syu linux66{,-headers} linux61{,-headers}
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
warning: linux66-6.6.19-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: linux61-6.1.80-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (5) pahole-1:1.26-1  linux61-6.1.80-1  linux61-headers-6.1.80-1
             linux66-6.6.19-1  linux66-headers-6.6.19-1

Total Download Size:    52.04 MiB
Total Installed Size:  544.32 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      265.54 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y

Proceed?

I did Proceed, as you told me to reinstall the kernels - so makes sense to reinstall them :smiley:

Did work without any further errors and now I can boot again!
Thank you very much for your intense help!!!
And sorry for being such a noob :wink:

1 Like

It doesn’t affect me. It’s you who will have problems if you don’t know how to maintain your system. There is a lot more to it than just pressing update button. :stuck_out_tongue:

it does affect you as you spend your free time with my problems - Thank you!
Maybe open source OS is not yet appropriate for everyone.
On the other hand, she switched from Windows, as windows update killed her PC :smiley:

It’s not that it’s open source (It’s not even that as a whole), it’s that it’s rolling distro. You have to at least read Announcements threads, etc. Anyway, good luck. :stuck_out_tongue:

So you think, a non-rolling-release Distro (Ubuntu?) could be better suited for a noob?

1 Like

Probably. Or even better, Mint.

1 Like

New problem, but I will stay within this thread for now, if its ok.

Many programs (eg thunar) need very long to start up.
I know, that there was this problem in the past and a work around: [Stable Update] 2023-06-04 - Kernels, Gnome 44.1, Plasma 5.27.5, Python 3.11, Toolchain, Firefox - #2 by philm

So I tried to do the steps and ran into another problem:
The User-Password includes a german Umlaut (aöü). When entering the user password for login, it works fine. But in the terminal, It does not accept the password. In the terminal settings, unter advanced, the “default character encoding” was set to Default (ANSI_X3.4-1968). Changing it to something like UTF8 enables me to type Umlaute when entering a command, but the password is still not accepted.
I found that in /etc/locale.gen de_de needs to be uncommented, but to change this, i would need to enter sudo, which I cant…
In Manjaro-Settingsmanager, everything is i German and de_DE.UTF-8 is selected for everything). But the Program Names and everything in the regular settings is in english (was it before? not sure…)
Any ideas?

You can always chroot. Anyway, for any further help please open a new topic and provide relevant info there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.