Unwanted boot files

Hello,
I ran into some problems with my previous KDE Instalation and I decided to completely delete it and install a fresh one since I had a backup and no real problem with doing it again. I have a double boot with Windows 10
I’ve already deleted the Manjaro partition in the Hard drive and the Manjaro Folder in the EFI folder of the System Partition(D). Through UEFI directly I deleted the boot for Manjaro. The problem I have is that I still have another boot option in UEFI I cant delete through it. When I boot this option it shows me a GRUB screen with an error refering to no partition being found for it.
Doing some research in the System partition files I found one file in D:/EFI/Boot that seems out of place. It is called bootx64.efi and presents the date of my first Manjaro installation, which is but I dont know if it would affect my Windows boot.
The question is: Would deleting that file affect my Windows boot? And would not deleting it affect my future Manjaro boot when I reinstall?
Thanks

Hi!
Try running

sudo update-grub

I have an Windows only virtual machine and it contains that file. Anyway it seems to be like a “fall-back” entry for the hard disk in the EFI. I think your Windows should boot anyway without it.

If feel adventurous, you can save it to another place, delete it from EFI and see what happens :smiley:

Source: UEFI boot: how does that actually work, then? | AdamW on Linux and more ( ‘Fallback path’ UEFI native boot entries -part)

Ok. I just did it in the virtual machine :grin:. After deleting the file, Windows boot fine but the EFI entry for the hard disk doesn’t work

1 Like

If you have an extra boot entry in your boot menu, use efibootmgr to remove it. There should be tutorials on the net about how to use it. Be careful to only remove the entry that doesn’t work.

Thank you, you literally did what i needed. What do you mean by the EFI entry to the hard disk? Im really new here and dont know nothing.
Also thanks to everybody who replied.

In EFI boot list you have some entries to the operating Systems and then you have some entries that try to boot a device (Hard disk, CD/DVD, …). I mean one of them.

This is the boot list from my virtual machine:
VirtualBox_EFI_boot