Rebooting causes the system to stay in a black screen

Hi all,

I just installed Manjaro KDE 21.0.7 yesterday and everything is doing great. However, I noticed that when I try to reboot the system by clicking on “Restart” from the Super menu, the computer appears to be shutting down but gets stuck on a black screen. The first time this happened I thought it might be still loading/unloading stuff in preparation for the reboot, but it just got stuck there for about 5 minutes or more and I had to manually shut down the computer. Even waited for about 10-12 minutes and nothing happened. So I avoid rebooting my computer and shut it down instead if I need to restart.

Any ideas what might be causing this? To my knowledge, I haven’t done much at this point other than installing software that I use for work (Slack, Discord, Office stuff, a VPN), some games from Steam/Lutris and a few tweaks to the KDE theme.

My system specs if it helps:
AMD Ryzen 3600X
Radeon 5700XT
32GB RAM
512GB NVME / 250GB SSD / 2TB HDD

Thanks in advance!

There is currently a problem with regard to shutting down and hibernating on Ryzen-based machines. I would recommend choosing a different kernel ─ preferably 5.4 or 5.10, both of which are LTS kernels.

That makes sense. I switched to the 5.13 kernel following a guide I found on Youtube about optimizing the computer for gaming saying that it was something to do after installing Manjaro.

I’ll revert back to 5.10 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Still got the black screen on restart after reverting to 5.10. I’ll try with 5.4 later after I’m done with my work from home stuff.

Thanks again!

IDK but you can try for a while in desktop session set as “Start with an empty session” and " End current session"

I suspect this issue has to do with some DPM’s bug of AMD GPU in kernel 5.10 or newer.

Disable the display power management (DPM):
For GRUB user:

1. Switch to Linux Kernel 5.10 LTS.
  2. Edit /etc/default/grub
  3. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT adds amdgpu.dpm=0
  4. sudo update-grub
  5. Restart PC, if it works?

Thanks for the input. I’ll let you know if it works. Currently doing some work from home stuff so I’ll do this later when I’m done.

Well, that didn’t work. I’m still getting stuck on the reboot screen. Thanks for the help anyway guys. I think I’ll just avoid rebooting and just shut down the PC instead when I need to reboot or soemthing.

Thanks!