Rebooting after update causes "grub_calloc" error. Trying to restore grub on encrypted system - luks & EFI

@stephane I got in!! :partying_face: Kinda! I followed the instructions here and everything went smoothly. I rebooted and same exact problem. So, I put the USB live drive back in and decided to pick the EFI from the live boot menu. Sure enough, it got me into the system. So, how do I cleanup the mess so that’s the only boot option? And why does the display seem different when I’m booting through the live drive (bigger font, bigger bios picture,etc.)? Everything is fine once I’m in the system, with the exception of the system drive showing up twice under devices. Not sure if it was like that or not before though. Thanks again for your help so far!

For future visitors, this is how you succesfully chroot an encrypted uefi system

sudo su

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 ssd ( here > name of the drive )
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3 swap

mount /dev/mapper/ssd /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/

chroot /mnt

2 Likes

I would include that ssd will be the name of your drive. In my case it was “crypto”. Also, swap seems to generically work.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.