Rebooting after update causes "grub_calloc" error. Trying to restore grub on encrypted system - luks & EFI

@stephane

First command returns:

==> ERROR: You can’t mount 0!

type 1 if only one line appears 

@stephane
I’m sorry if I’m missing somthing, but no combination of typing 1 does anything.

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo manjaro-chroot -a
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ 1
bash: 1: command not found
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo manjaro-chroot -1
usage: manjaro-chroot -a [or] manjaro-chroot chroot-dir [command]
-a Automount detected linux system
-h Print this help message
-q Query settings and pretend

If 'command' is unspecified, manjaro-chroot will launch /bin/sh.

If 'automount' is true, manjaro-chroot will launch /bin/bash
and .

[manjaro@manjaro ~]$ sudo manjaro-chroot 1
==> ERROR: Can’t create chroot on non-directory 1
[manjaro@manjaro ~]$

sudo manjaro-chroot -a 

if there is only one line 0 - …
then type 1 enter

It doesn’t give me that option. It spits out :

and returns immediately to the CL. No pause.

I have a feeling this older post might have the answer to my problem. I’m not competent enough to put it together.

are using Luks ? ( encrypted installation ? )

Yes, I am. I can mount through Thunar like the post suggest, but then I can’t mount the /boot.

see this topic

I don’t see anything that pertains to my situation. I’m not attempting to do the procedure from within Manjaro. I’m locked out at using a live USB. I’m also not dealing with dual booting. I only have Manjaro on my HD.

you have to read this
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system

1 how to mount open luks
2 and reinstall grub

The word “reinstall” isn’t even on that page. I feel like I’m going deeper down a rabbit hole than I need. I can mount the drive! But I can’t figure out the right order to do things in, or apparently where the files are actually supposed to go. I really appreciate your help, but I feel like I’m getting further from the solution at this point.

from USB iso manjaro
you can select your drive to boot ?
( not live , but the disk ? )

I’m sorry. I don’t understand what you’re asking. I can mount my system drive from Thunar (or the CL) within the live system.

from USB iso manjaro ( before start booting )
you can click on boot to select your disk

is this working ?

From the USB boot menu, I can choose to look at the EFI bootloaders. Listed as follows:

(hd1,gpt1)/efi/manjaro/grub64.efi
(hd1,gpt1)/efi/boot/bootx64.efi
(hd1,gpt1)/efi/boot/grubx64.efi
(hd1,gpt1)/efi/boot/Manjaro/grubx6464.efi

@stephane I got in!! :partying_face: Kinda! I followed the instructions here and everything went smoothly. I rebooted and same exact problem. So, I put the USB live drive back in and decided to pick the EFI from the live boot menu. Sure enough, it got me into the system. So, how do I cleanup the mess so that’s the only boot option? And why does the display seem different when I’m booting through the live drive (bigger font, bigger bios picture,etc.)? Everything is fine once I’m in the system, with the exception of the system drive showing up twice under devices. Not sure if it was like that or not before though. Thanks again for your help so far!

For future visitors, this is how you succesfully chroot an encrypted uefi system

sudo su

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 ssd ( here > name of the drive )
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda3 swap

mount /dev/mapper/ssd /mnt
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi

mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts/

chroot /mnt

2 Likes

I would include that ssd will be the name of your drive. In my case it was “crypto”. Also, swap seems to generically work.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.