Reboot/shutdown delay

hey guys,

Recently I’ve been getting a paused black/bios post screen during shutdown or reboot, about 30 seconds, then an error flashes on the screen and the reboot continues normally.
Was trying to find some logs without luck, but I got a glimpse of the error - something to the effect of:

failed to unmount oldroot_sys

The only thing related to mounting I’ve done is auto mount my ntfs storage directories via fstab
from a guide a moderator posted: (don’t know if it’s related, the auto mount works fine)

mkdir /home/canelesso/ssd250
lsblk -o UUID /dev/sda1
sudo nano /etc/fstab
(UUID=THE-UUID-YOU-COPIED /home/canelesso/ssd250 ntfs-3g auto,nofail,uid=1000,gid=1000,utf8,umask=022,defaults 0 0)

Any help would be appreciated.

It could be a systemd timeout. I use the following code to reduce the timeouts from 90s to 5s. Note this can cause issues if your os in on a spinning disk.

# fix systemd shutdown timeout
sudo sed -i -e "s/#DefaultTimeoutStopSec=90s/DefaultTimeoutStopSec=5s/g" /etc/systemd/system.conf
sudo sed -i -e "s/#DefaultTimeoutStartSec=90s/DefaultTimeoutStartSec=5s/g" /etc/systemd/system.conf
1 Like

thanks, that decreased the reboot times - I was able to get more of the error message:

watchdog: watchdog0:watchdog did not stop!
sd-moun failed to unmount /oldroot: device or resource busy
sd-moun failed to unmount /oldroot/sys: device or resource busy
shutdown: failed to finalize system, ignoring

that’s the gist of it… now I’m thinking it’s related to watchdog?

I followed the tip on this subject Can't shutdown properly an optimus laptop about watchdog.

I added:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet nowatchdog apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3”
to /etc/default/grub like the guide describes,
then sudo update-grub and sudo mkinitcpio -P
but I still get the watchdog error shrug

When you disabled watchdog, did you do the following:

blacklist the following as such:

blacklist iTCO_wdt 
blacklist iTCO_vendor_support

name the  file watchdog.conf and place in /etc/modprobe.d/

To check if watchdog is actually disabled:
cat /proc/sys/kernel/watchdog

Should show 0

check this link as well: How to disable watchdog?

2 Likes

did I do this correctly, modified /etc/default/grub

disable watchdog

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet nowatchdog apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3”

also, how do I implement the following:

A. adding nmi_watchdog=0 to kernel parameters
or by

B. adding nowatchdog to the kernel parameters

Thank you all for your time.

nmi_watchdog and watchdog are two separate things. I have both disabled on my (xfce) machines.
This is how mine looks:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="apparmor=1 security=apparmor nowatchdog nmi_watchdog=0 udev.log_priority=3 usbcore.autosuspend=-1"

Don’t forget to sudo update-grub after making any changes.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.