Realtek RTL8168 may not successfully establish connection again after hibernation

Hello, I'm new to Manjaro. I've found that sometimes my computer just can't successfully connect to the Internet again. I wonder whether it's caused by the free driver or not. And the most importantly, how to fix it? Thanks for your patience.

As the screenshot shows, the connection status stays "Connecting" after a wake up from hibernation (NOT SUSPEND TO RAM)

Here's information from mhwd -lh -d --pci

<pre>07: PCI 300.0: 0200 Ethernet controller
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1c.2/0000:03:00.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:03:00.0
  Hardware Class: network
  Model: &quot;Gigabyte Onboard Ethernet&quot;
  Vendor: pci 0x10ec &quot;Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.&quot;
  Device: pci 0x8168 &quot;RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller&quot;
  SubVendor: pci 0x1458 &quot;Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd&quot;
  SubDevice: pci 0xe000 &quot;Onboard Ethernet&quot;
  Revision: 0x0c
  Driver: &quot;r8168&quot;
  Driver Modules: &quot;r8168&quot;
  Device File: enp3s0
  I/O Ports: 0xd000-0xd0ff (rw)
  Memory Range: 0xf7200000-0xf7200fff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xf2100000-0xf2103fff (ro,non-prefetchable)
  IRQ: 35 (197499 events)
  HW Address: fc:aa:14:c8:b5:ce
  Permanent HW Address: fc:aa:14:c8:b5:ce
  Link detected: yes
  Module Alias: &quot;pci:v000010ECd00008168sv00001458sd0000E000bc02sc00i00&quot;
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: r8169 is not active
    Driver Activation Cmd: &quot;modprobe r8169&quot;
  Driver Info #1:
    Driver Status: r8168 is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: &quot;modprobe r8168&quot;
  Attached to: #25 (PCI bridge)
</pre>

Thanks again.

Open the Manjaro-Settings-Manager and click on Hardware. Delete r8168 with it and the more stable r8169 driver will be removed from the blacklist and used after reboot. Restart the system and check if it is better.

3 Likes

@admdb has already pointed out the solution

A little background:

With later kernels the kernel supplied driver is better than the driver in the repo.

The repo driver has also been omitted from later ISOs - for that reason.

@admdb, is this a general recommendation? So far, I have no issues with r8168 and 4.19.62-1 stable but could easily do the same thing.

Read what @linux-aarhus wrote, it is all explained there.

Usually this problem is corrected by simply switching to the r8169 driver. In rare cases it requires writing a service to correct this. You can find information here:

1 Like

If it isn't broken then no need to fix it. You know what to do now though if it does start misbehaving at some point.

1 Like

Thanks, @micsim35!

Thanks for everyone's assistance! I've switched to Linux kernel 4.19.62-1 and removed the open-source driver. Things work well now, but I didn't test whether my Realtek network controller will "wake up" again or not. New information will be updated!

I think you might have your wires crossed there. The open sourced driver is built into the kernel and not easily removed.

You stated your problem was that your controller doesn't wake after resume. If you haven't tested this yet, how can you possibly state "Things work well now".

Hello
Two points.
First, as for how to remove the driver Manjaro installed for me. I apologize for wrong statement of "remove", actually I just deselected the "install" check box in the manjaro-settings-manager and reboot.
Update: I have downloaded the official driver from Realtek website, but I didn't install it. It's just in case of malfunction.

Second, I apologize for the wrong statement again. After the whole day of testing, it indeed works fine after hibernation. (I've put my system into hibernation 5 times again, and the Internet connection resumes every time.)
Anyway, I still really appreciate your assistance.

1 Like

Glad you got things working, and thanks for the clarification. :+1:

PS. don't use the driver you downloaded, most are generally very outdated.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark