Realtek r8168 vs r8169

Hi
xfce with kernel 5.1.0-1
prior to this kernel I was using r8168 but the network didn't work so now I'm using r8169
inxi -n
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
I've uninstalled linux50-r8168 - kernel module in pamac
What will happen if I uninstall the r8168 driver in settings manager?

1 Like

Then you would uninstall the module for the linux51 kernel. :slight_smile:
linux50 and linux51 is not the same kernel series, they have different module packages.

yeah I get that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (oh yeah and if I reboot to a different kernel my network won't work now lol, doh!)
But I thought I'm now using a 'driver' that is built into the kernel whereas before I had to have an 'extra driver' installed
So why is Settings Manager telling me I'm using r8168 when I'm using r8169 now??

You uninstalled linux50-r8168. But you are booted into kernel 5.1, which uses linux51-r8168.

But if you don't have internet when running 5.0, then re-install linux50-r8168 from a booted 5.1 kernel.

linux51-r8168 doesn't exist as far as I'm aware....
read this for more info [Testing Update] 2019-05-07 - Kernels, Gnome, Calamares, Grub, Manjaro-Tools, Haskell, KDE-Dev
PS I'm working fine with 51 and r8169! I'm trying to get rid of any 'unnecessary software' now :crazy_face:

Hm. Just checked and you are right. I wonder if it got into the kernel then...

yes it got in the kernel methinks!!!
so I can remove that 'driver' or whatever it is in settings manager!!??

No idea. :slight_smile:

1 Like

actually r8169 will work with all kernels after removing r8168 with manjaro settings manager.

removing the r8168 driver through manjaro settings manager also removes the blacklist file for r8169. it's the method you should have used in the first place :wink:

5 Likes

Cool thanks, I'm a learning boss :grimacing:

you were right again :kissing_heart:
so to complete my learning process for today, does this mean that the r8196 driver is built into the 419 kernel now as well?

r8169 is built as a module since countless time.
This means it doesn't get switched on until you sudo modprobe r8169

1 Like

I didn't do that......so it must be getting done when the kernel 'builds itself'! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

If the r8168 driver is not installed, (or is blacklisted) the r8169 kernel module will automatically be loaded at boot.

2 Likes

hey tbg, I was just reading about your annoyance with the 5.1 kernel and all the 'network issues' caused by lack of r8168 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
ok should I have said the kernel 'loads itself'???
r8168 is dead to me, long live r8169 :laughing:

Ya, it's been non-stop for the last week people complaining their LAN has died. I almost don't even have to ask anymore I just post the r8169 fix.

I think it's not too bad that folk learn a bit more about the tools they use......
Did you hear about the American blond who went into a motor shop and asked for some 710?
It took them a while to realise she was reading it upside down and she really needed some OIL :crazy_face:

Ehrm, it really did not on my laptop last time I checked.

Well that's rather unusual the r8169 module should not require a modprobe to load. There may have been a black list left in:

/etc/modprobe.d/ 
/etc/modules-load.d/ 
/usr/lib/modprobe.d/  

I recently found the kernel driver for 8168 needs to be uninstalled by mhwd to remove the blacklist file or you have to remove it manually.

sudo mhwd -r pci network-r8168
1 Like