Interested in Manjaro Repos

Hi everybody.
This is my first post and I hope I am welcome here.
I am new to the Linux world in general. (used some other for a few days long time ago)

I am interested in Arch based distros. So, currently I am just a few days on EndeavourOS but I thought I should try Manjaro for stability.

I am using just very basic apps (Google chrome for browsing, maybe I will install Libreoffice).

As I prefer a rolling release, I wonder if it is possible to change my EndeavourOS repos to be Manjaro repos?
Would this create any conflict.

How to do it without making a fresh Manjaro install if possible! (I think I would be using Manjaro then anyway.)

Your help much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Welcome !

…so, what do you loose with a fresh install - not much, I guess. Store your private data (in every case, doesn’t matter on how you want to proceed from here), or even better, do you have a seperate home partition ?

While it is theoretically possible to do, I would not recommend it for a new user. But here you are:

Edit: This post is from july 2019 . So, pacman.conf , grub , linux53 are no longer valid and need to be changed !

Be prepared for hiccups, endevour has overlays, manjaro has even more of them. Your confgs might not work as they should.
Back to your (hopefully existing) seperate home partition. Keeping it untouched (do not format), or transferring it to a data partion, that would make things much easier.

4 Likes

this would be a troublesome endeavor, it would be much much less work to reinstall, even if it is possible to go from Manjaro to EOS, the way EOS to Manjaro is way more difficult when not impossible.

The main problem that might happen is if there are any packages that are named differently, they would not update and could cause errors about conflicting files in the OS. The number would depend on which branch of Manjaro you switched them to, and you mentioned sability so odds are you want the stable repo’s. It could be 10-20 or it could be more that cause endless headache. It would also be a problem if you tried to install a package that has a dependency that needs a specific version and the version you have is newer than the Manjaro package.
All in all its likely better to do a fresh manjaro install.

1 Like

OK. Thank you all for your feed back!
So, I better do a fresh install Manjaro.

Just to be sure and feel safe.
As I honestly mentioned I am on EndeavourOS now (and thinking of a fresh install Manjaro for stability)

I am sure you know about the infamous Grub issue that happened a few days ago with Arch and Arch Based.

What I care to have in my Manjaro fresh Install:

• Minimal Install.
  • I will install and default to LTS kerenl
  • BTRFS (mainly for booting from sanapshots in case something breaks)
  • BTRFS Assistant, Snapper,… etc.
  • KDE Plasma, Disable Baloo
  • Install “kio_recoll” and Recoll

Now, my question(s) is/are:
-Is Manjaro OK with the Grub issue? What is the current Manjaro situation with Grub?

• Do I have option while installing to select rEFInd to be default and possibly boot to earlier snapshots?
  • I will be having only one OS (Manjaro)

I know I am asking lots of questions, but I just want to be sure Manjaro will be installed once and just update/upgrade automatically. This is why I am looking for a rolling release.

Thank you very much for your help!

P.S: what about systemd-boot? Can it be modified somehow to boot BTRFS snapshots as Grub does?

Sorry for bothering you again.
I read at a topic here called “comparison-of-bootloaders/32550/3” that systemd-boot can be configured to boot from snapshots.

So, it will have both options to do a normal boot or let me select an earlier snapshot 9as Grub does?

How to do it?
(in simple 1,2,3… steps and commands please. I am new to Linux and even Newer to Arch)
I will highly appreciate instructions.

Thank you.

All these questions, I think you’re in over your head. Btrfs and systemd-boot without basic knowledge makes no sense.
Do yourself a favour and do a default minimal/full install of your preferred DE. Use btrfs or ext4 as you wish, but keep the defaults for now.

philmManjaro team

4 d

• Only on our unstable branch we updated grub . That issue never hit stable nor testing. See also here and here .

And reverted back to r261 soon after. No another attempt at updating to a newer revision yet.

OK… thanks a lot.
So it better be minimal satble branch with BTRFS and Grub.
I will be fine…
Thank you

Thank you also, this will make things easier to troubleshoot if something goes backside.
Just one objection, why is everyone so ecstatic about btrfs? But that’s just me.

Well, BTRFS enables you to take snapshots of your system (every hour and every boot).
With a bootloader like Grub if an update breaks something, you can boot to an earlier working snapshot, restore your system to an earlier snapshot.

In brief, you will always have a working system without the need to reinstall or struggle with fixing things. (Other than something like the latest Grub issue that bricked some Arch installations)

On the other hand you can snapshot your /home as well.

Snapshots is… mmm… is not an additional copy of the system or of /home, it is like “incremental” (this is a bit techie for me to explain in proper technical expressions) I am just expressing as an average non techie user.

I really hope systemd-boot developers do something to allow for booting from snapshots.

This was not really a quetion but more an opinion. I know about btrfs/snapper, etc…

…your confidence in btrfs is much higher than mine. I tried it, after 5 months it broke. This is not my view of stability. Simple ext4/timeshift (no autosnap) installation served me well over the years.
But again, that’s just me. I am old and lazy, I prefer things are working.
cheers

2 Likes

This is so bad!
I read that there are bugs still in BTRFS, but I have read allover users say they are OK with it.

Do you know what was the problem? Wasn’t tit the latest Grub issue?

Just asking you as more experienced than me.

Is there a way to be sure I will have in EXT4 something to boot to in case an update breaks the system?

P.S. Downloading minimal KDE Manjaro now!

Yes, you can always open tty, give your credentials and type command

timeshift --restore

…and choose the last working/booting snapshot option.

If you can reach your DE, open timeshift fom GUI, choose…

1 Like

I believe he answered that with this statement (my bold in the quote below). Its actually what I use.

Timeshift takes a snapshot of a system that can be reverted to. Even if the system wont boot you can restore with a Manjaro install media. He does mention that he doesnt have autosnap installed, which takes a snapshot before every upgrade. If he is running stable its not super necessary as major updates come in bundles once or twice a month. But you have to remember to manually create a snapshot before the upgrade. In all likelihood autosnap is the safer way to go, but it does take a lot of time if you are updating a lot.

That would be interesting.
Though I am not sure how to log in to the terminal and not booting to the broken sysytem.
Can I boot from the flash disk and do it?

Sorry. Absolutely new to Linux.
Sorry. Posted almost same time of previous post!
So it is OK.

Sounds really interesting.
Thank you!

I do it with timeshift’s inbuild shedule, on my notbook I save 3-boot, 1-weekly, that’s enough.
On a PC set 3-daily instead of 3-boot plus 1-weekly. It’s all automated, all from GUI >>>foolproof (for somebody like me).

Thank you @banjo

I will read a little and decide BTRFS or EXT4

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.