Really "under your control"?

As a newbie to manjaro (into a few weeks and then this forum crash/change), one of the things that got my attention was the paragraph, “Change everything you need” at

and specifically, “…remove or replace whatever you like…”.

However I find that not to be entirely the case. E.g. I have no need for the Qt apps under Development. I can’t uninstall them without affecting Spectacle

I get the requirement of dependencies… however it would be nice if there was an option to ignore the dependency in some cases without it breaking the app. (There’s no qt5-tools dependency with (some) other distros)

But this isn’t about dependencies! This (post) is about that “remove or replace whatever you like” comment on manjaro.org. I think that should be reworded a little to reflect the spirit in which it is intended…

And this is no deal-breaker. After years with Kubuntu… I like this manjaro! I said previously (in the old forum) that it’s a first for a great forum build, that @discobot interlude, then a certificate and a thoughtful grub build!

So to the newbies… there is context to the “whatever” and it might not be under your control

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

1 Like

is for apps and not dependencies :wink:
For exemple if you don’t want systemd …

yes is possible to remove all QT but with, you remove all QT applications as Spectacle but also manjaro-settings-manager. You can if is not a problem for you and if you can replace by other app

if you want a dangerous command without alert for remove all qt:

Résumé
  sudo pacman -Rsnc qt5-base

? why under Development, you use git versions ???

1 Like

This is called nitpicking.
:sleeping:

3 Likes

I mean… it’s true, you can remove or replace whatever you like. The user has full control over their system. Doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences on breaking dependencies if a package requires it and you’re forcing it to get uninstalled.

You can always force packages to be uninstalled:

-d, --nodeps

Skips dependency version checks. Package names are still checked. Normally, pacman will always check a package’s dependency fields to ensure that all dependencies are installed and there are no package conflicts in the system. Specify this option twice to skip all dependency checks.

umm… this wasn’t to elicit comments re removing, uninstalling or hiding apps; this is about a comment on manjaro.org that newbies could misunderstand
and under Dev…
undev

so is *-git ? is kde dev ? is only for advanced users (not for me) and less for newbies

But newbies don’t want to suppress dependencies. Here you do an advanced action. As said above, of course if a beginner remove systemd he will break his distribution.

Don’t take newbies for idiots: they won’t randomly uninstall system packages without having an idea of the result.

In fact you take a phase and prove to us by some absurd case (rm qt with plasma!) that it’s not true?
Yes, you are right ! there are always extreme cases and exceptions but in this case it is no longer possible to make a slogan or it comes down to 8 pages :wink:

Stay on linux mint 20! It’s easy ok.

1 Like

The countless number of Windows users who press “Yes” when essentailly asked “would you like to also install this spyware/adware along with whatever else it is you are installing” would disagree with you :stuck_out_tongue: Never underestimate the danger of a “newbie” in their native habitat! :laughing:

Dev/Development is a category of the applications menu! As is Education, Games, Multimedia, etc. And I also have those Qt development apps installed (Manjaro KDE). It has nothing to do with -git versions or AUR versions of stuff.

The verbiage can be considered misleading, as it is not always possible to remove or replace whatever you like … if you want the system to keep functioning. As mentioned before, removing systemd, or grub, would not end well! :open_mouth: So perhaps the word ‘apps’ should be added, since that is the interpretation. If you have to add the word to make meaning, it’s obviously missing. But that is about all you can do, otherwise there will be *, + # after it, with disclaimer after disclaimer… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: that!

1 Like

I think Manjaro asumes that whatever you like to remove or replace is at least not something that breaks the system. And if you still want to do that, it’s possible, but not without breaking.

1 Like

No. The QT Dev tools are provided by the qt5-tools package, which is a dependency of spectacle. So as soon as you install Spectacle, you also install these dev tools.

EDIT: All of these packages come from Arch Linux of course. So they are not maintained by Manjaro.

2 Likes

Speaking of things that can’t be removed (a noob here with less then a week of experience with Manjaro and Linux in general) is there a way to remove Avahi zero conf stuff or are they needed by some shady process in the background ? i’m browsing the internet with firefox doing typical browsing stuff, not sure i do need these:

When i try removing them, the add/remove GUI freeze and i have to reboot.

Lots of things actually depend on Avahi for network discovery.

More to the point, I’d like to ask @Voidium a question:

Why do you want to remove these items? It’s very simple to see in the pamac interface that they’re needed for many basic browsing functions, music daemon, pulseaudio, sane etc.

Obviously this isn’t Arch - so installations are geared to fit many machines and use cases.

Some more experienced users complained about the ‘bloat’.

There’s a simple answer to this - Arch is bloat free because you only install what you need, and by doing so you learn what’s needed. Manjaro has an Architect installer to bring you closer to that experience…

But there isn’t much installed here that’s not necessary - and you must have a thorough understanding before you take something out, or disable a service…

I’m not saying it isn’t a good idea, but that if you don’t understand, then just let the system run.

While many good points were made, the topic was initially a feedback to the text on the website. It was proven that a Manjaro install is under user control.