Really low FPS when using video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-prime

Hello, I’m currently using video-hybrid-nvidia-prime as my graphics driver on a dual GPU (intel integrates and nvidia dedicated) laptop.I have a main laptop display and an external display.

The problem I run into is that when I use this driver and connect the external display, everything is extremely slow. I can visibly see frames moving across the screen, and I can tell the FPS is really low. However, when I remove this driver and instead use the video-nvidia driver, I can no longer use the built-in display, but the framerate issue seems to be resolved.

I would like to ideally use both displays with normal framerate. What should I do?

With video-hybrid-nvidia-prime, how do you execute your app? It defaults to Intel, if you want to use the Nvidia card, you have to explicitly run it under prime-run, like this:

$ prime-run glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
$ glxinfo | grep -i vendor
server glx vendor string: SGI
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
OpenGL vendor string: Intel

As you can see, with prime-run, the vendor string is “NVIDIA Corporation”. But without, it’s “Intel”.

video-nvidia OTOH kills (=not used, not really kill) your iGPU, so your system totally runs on Nvidia card. It could explain the issue why your built-in display then cannot be used as normally it connects to the iGPU, although a little tweak with arandr / xrandr may allow it to use the dGPU.

1 Like

I don’t think that solved the issue. Could you link some documentation on how to enable the xrandr tweak for using dedicated graphics only on both external and internal monitors? I should uninstall hybrid and install video-nvidia if I want to do that right?

Recently I explained the issue and the fix,see my post

3 Likes

LETS GOOOOOOO IT WORKED!!!

I INSTALLED OPTIMUS MANAGER, FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS HERE:

AND RAN optimus-manager --switch nvidia

Now both of my monitors are at full FPS and I can use both of them!! Thanks so much

2 Likes

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.