Re: July 3 update, removing 5.0 kernel breaks dependency with 5.0-rt

Hello, I missed the July 3 stable I see the thread is now closed. Had critical needs for pc to be up, couldn't risk it. System backed up ready to proceed.

I posted in and studied that update thread and just read a couple more, could someone please tell me the commands for removing 5.0.21-1 [50-rt can go as well]? I either can't get my head around this or it seems my scenario is not exactly like any of those posted. I don't have 4.20 installed. Been running 4.14 and also have 4.9 and 4.19 installed.

Using settings manager to remove 5.0.21-1 I get this:
linux50
linux50-rt
linux50-nvidia-340xx
linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx

Starting
checking dependencies...
:: linux-rt-manjaro: removing linux50-rt breaks dependency 'linux50-rt'
:: linux-rt-manjaro-nvidia-340xx: removing linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx breaks dependency 'linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx'

thanks

Is there a reason you have the RT's ?

(they mean real-time and are generally only used by media professionals ... audio engineering, etc)

So yes - if you dont need them .. boot into a safe normal working kernel like 4.19 and remove with prejudice. (well - either way 5.0 is dead to rights, so you need to get rid of it in any case)

mhwd-kernel is probably the way to go if using command-line.
Ex:

mhwd-kernel -r linux50 linux50-rt

[please post errors if any - its possible those nvidia modules made a dependency funny]

( also PS - please use the </> code button to format outputs :wink: )

Yes, initially installed for Digital Audio Workstation but haven't been using it.

Great, thank you, I'll give that a go. Never done this, as an experiment I think I'll start with just
</> mhwd-kernel -r linux50 </>

Thanks, I've wanted to know how, have to look into that more. I tried it above must be missing something as it didn't work.

Would the error info I posted be considered "code"? It was from the Settings Manager.

Ah, sorry - I could be more clear. Highlight then press ..

(the stuff above is 'on the line' - its easily readable, so no big deal)

OK, that didn't work, "failed to prepare transaction", same result as Settings Manager. Ah, I see the "</>" in the formatting options, I'll try it again. I have the nvidia which I gather from the threads is a problem with this.
``

$ sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux50 
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: linux-rt-manjaro-nvidia-340xx: removing linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx breaks dependency 'linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx'
$ sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux50 linux50-rt
warning: skipping target: linux50-rt
warning: skipping target: linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx
checking dependencies...

Thanks again, just saw that.

In case it matters I used 4.14 as I was already booted into it. I presume I have larger issues?

yes, it doesn't work using mhwd. I was reading something about removing the nvidia driver then reinstalling but I believe that was for people who only had 4.20 and 5.0 installed. I have working kernels, 4.14 and 4.19. If anyone knows how to proceed greatly appreciated, thanks!

$ sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux50 linux50-rt
warning: skipping target: linux50-rt
warning: skipping target: linux50-rt-nvidia-340xx
checking dependencies...

Try this:

sudo pacman -R $(pacman -Qsq "^linux50" | awk '{print $1}' ORS=' ')  

Make sure you aren't running one of the 5.0 kernels actively.

fing nvidia.. okay.
We should not normally do this .. but I may suggest using pacman or another package manager to remove these packages all at once...
Then for extra measure use mhwd again to 'reinstall' nvidia drivers.
(please remember to not do this from within one of the 'bad' kernels!)

( argh, ok @dalto. :speedboat: :wink: )

1 Like

thanks, same results. I've been long term running 4.14 due to youtube issues which I will post in another thread.

sudo pacman -R $(pacman -Qsq "^linux50" | awk '{print $1}' ORS=' ')  
[sudo] password for ttgg: 
checking dependencies...

Thanks, I wouldn't know where to begin with that, sorry. yeah I haven't even been using 5.0 at all since installing, running 4.14

thanks cscs and dalto, I'll have to get back to this later. signing off

Heh, worked like a charm! Had to sleep on that one... searched Linux50 in pacman, 4 packages 2 each for 50 and 50-rt, removed all together... no problem! Updated successfully, then installed Linux51 to try out.

Why is removing kernels via pacman not normally done? Too much risk with dependencies?

I didn't do that, seems to be good. ?
thanks a lot, relieved to be updated!

Its just that in manjaro we use mhwd or mhwd-kernel (or the GUI Manjaro settings Manager) to make these changes and automate some other configs when we make them.
Doing so straight through pacman can have unintended consequences if you are not careful.
But in this case we have a'special situation' ... so we cut out the middle man and get dirty with it.
I'm glad it ended up simple and successful :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.