Rave - LOVING Manjaro Deepin

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Deepin is second to none, as far as user interfaces go. It is one of only three environments I'd suggest to someone, whether newbie or pro. It is probably the only one I'd consider teaching; Budgie is essentially Deepin's efficient mode, but uglier, while Cinnamon is yesterday's news.

The system apps have a relatively unified and beautiful design language, which in the Unix world is essentially unheard of. Elementary is even more unified, but its design has gone counter to Unix consensus, which means that its integrated applications clash.

Just open the System Monitor on Deepin to see what I mean. It looks like it's from 2018. Even the Windows 10 task manager isn't as beautiful, and its predecessor (Win8 and earlier) was from 1997! (Literally, the WinNT 4 taskman.exe) Firefox next to it looks fine - the widgets are similar, etc. HexChat and Pamac look fairly ugly in Deepin - well, Pamac looks ugly on anything, but still, no Betty.

The integrated apps also add some measure of utility. I install Spacemacs on all my systems, just because I'm used to Vi keys and Lisp, but I could use the Deepin editor in a pinch. There's a graphically beautiful backup utility, and functional as well. There's an Exposé-alike (though I've so far been unable to map it to ALT/Tab as I would like).

And, the terminal. Oh, wow. Best damn terminal I've ever used in my life. The closest second would be Tilix, but I've never had a distro where ALT/F2 automatically invokes a Quake-alike Tilix session from the top of the screen. Manjaro-Deepin does it, with the Deepin terminal. It does tile mode. It does tabs. It does transparency---with blur!

All right, KDE Plasma could be configured to act to my liking. Maybe even more than Deepin - but I want an environment that works fine the first time. Literally the only things I have had to customise, for the Deepin Desktop Environment, were the desktop wallpaper (Oh God that ugly shade of blue) and the font size (way too small on my MacBook Pro!)

Manjaro Deepin is probably the only system that I could get to work on a bare installation, using just the system apps. Back when I used Ubuntu with Budgie and Cinnamon, my apt-get list, for getting the system into a usable state, was two pages long. On this, I've only really had to install five or six packages (off the top of my head, Wine, LaTeX, Emacs, Inkscape, Spotify, Lynx for getting past paywalls on my morning paper, and, erm, that's it, I think).

The only thing Deepin really fails on is documentation. All right, the package manager is ugly and could do with a replacement, and bloody Irssi would be an improvement over HexChat (it's a text-mode client, and it looks better, FFS!) But those are niggling issues, irritations rather than deal-breakers. First-world problems.

Documentation, on the other hand, doesn't mention certain crucial facts. For example, it talks about the terminal's "Quake mode", but doesn't specify how to activate it! It doesn't say how you can get a mini-Exposé, for easier task switching (just hover over the app's taskbar icon). There are... "interestiing" uses of the English language, but I can forgive those, given that English isn't an official language in China.

All in all, 9/10! A solid effort, with only minor issues. Looks and works better than Windows 10, which I would say is the most solid-looking graphical environment out there (leaves OS X in the dust!)

3 Likes

Deepin is seriously beautiful! How can we be notified on this forum when the dev work is done and the system is performant?

use the announcements section with the deepin tag set:

https://forum.manjaro.org/tags/c/announcements/deepin

The system is performant right now. It works near-perfectly on my MacBook Pro and I am using it as my primary production system.

The Deepin Desktop Environment is in piecewise transition, and a few inconsistencies haven't been ironed out. For example, DDE currently depends on both Qt and GTK+. Apps in general use a customised form of Qt that looks like GTK, so regular Qt apps tend to look awful. I have tried Octopi (Qt) and Pamac (GTK), Pamac wins on looks. Similarly, Polari looks much better on Deepin than HexChat does, but doesn't connect, for some reason. Our Chinese friends are switching window managers, but again, piecewise, and it's all being curated by @oberon et al, so it shouldn't break your system (I've been on Manjaro for six months at least, works just fine).

The system is, again, "performant" - you can use it as your primary work machine, even with a totally bare install, unless you have a strong preference for certain tools (like me and Emacs - absolutely must be installed on all my computers).

The real question is about "stability". Do you use the ICT definition, or the business definition? To me, "stable" software is that which does not crash. By that definition, Manjaro Deepin is very stable. Mass Effect 2 on Manjaro Deepin is unstable. There is also the business definition of the word - "stability" means does not change, so that users don't have to be retrained (which costs money). In that sense, Deepin Desktop Environment is highly unstable, and Manjaro itself, as a rolling release, even more so.

It sounds like you're having a good experience. Is this a clean install (i.e. no other DE's were installed before?). The issues that I had were slow application start times (it was slower than KDE and GNOME), and after a while my DE broke down and I had to reboot.
To elaborate, I was able to bluescreen every windows installation given to me by my work until 5 years ago - I just had that way lol. My linux never broke (much..). Deepin broke for me.

Yes, totally clean install. I'd used Ubuntu before on this machine, then it broke, had to blitz it and install something else. I wanted Solus (which I used on my ThinkPad) but I tried 9 flash drives, all of which refused to boot. Manjaro was the next option, and it's become my distro of choice (or rather, one of two - I still recommend Solus as well).

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying Manjaro Deepin. It is one of my favorite versions of Manjaro. Right now I am using Manjaro Gnome, but I plan on going back to Deepin at some point in the future.

Personally, I much prefer Budgie to Gnome, because as we all know, jack of all trades = master of none, and Gnome is certainly a master of none. In Budgie, the workflow is tailored towards desktop and mainframe computers (accessed through a thin client) - much better than trying to do mobile.

Glad you are happy.
But a few things confused me.

..Wait, really? Dont they mix all sorts of elements? some is gtk, some is not, system apps dont respect user themes, etc?

Thats surprising. A bunch of Manjaro versions come with yakuake by default, and xfce's terminal has this ability built-in. These days I find most modern terminal emulators respect compositor transparency.

Is it a hidpi screen? Have you set up hidpi properly ? Or did you just pump all font sized to 24 px or something ?

Deepin is its own, fairly new, project - and all of their documentation is 'lacking'.

If you mean deepin DE itself then look here:
https://www.deepin.org/en/dde/

All of that is technically true, but somewhat misleading, in my humble opinion. Yes, Deepin uses GTK elements as well as (predominantly) Qt, and hence depends on both packages, but as far as I could ascertain, the only thing seriously reliant on GTK is the dock. In actual practice, you can't really see which is which (the design language, and a lot of the behaviour, is the same). It's my understanding that Deepin is moving towards Qt, though.

I tried changing themes, and it worked - mostly. Essentially, because Deepin uses both GTK and Qt at the present time, you need to have both the GTK and Qt themes installed. Then it's seamless.

I come from Solus by way of Ubuntu-Budgie. Solus includes plain old gnome-terminal, as does Manjaro-Budgie, while Tilix is installed by default on Ubuntu Budgie. I must say that Tilix is the far better choice.

I'm no KDE fan, so I'm not all that familiar with Yakuake (I think Manjaro KDE and possibly Xfce are the only ones that include it). I am fairly sure, though, that it doesn't tile like Tilix and Deepin-Terminal do. By tiling, I mean how you can type SPACE, W, - on Spacemacs, and it'll split the window in half crosswise, with a movable line between the two. Neither Guake nor Yakuake support this behaviour to the best of my knowledge, and Gnome-Terminal definitely doesn't.

This is something Tilix and Deepin-Terminal both include. On the other hand, Tilix has a somewhat confusing user interface, and there's no per-app option to blur the background. No simple tick-box, at least. I don't know about Xfce's terminal - last time I used it was a few years ago on a BSD box, because no other desktop environment would successfully run. I seriously dislike Xfce - crufty to the max.

I simply set Deepin to scale everything by 125%.

I love that you love it, but I just can't stand their right hand panel. Which is like 96% of the uniqueness of the DE.

I like the right hand panel, just want a different way of launching the notification view. Also, the system apps and the blur add something.

I like @ant's Deepin-ified KDE very much, I must say. Might be better than the original.

I've also found that Pamac's ugliness is largely due to Mutter; for some reason it doesn't fit in with the rest of the environment, very much. When I switched over to Kwin, it really started to excel.

2 Likes

Thanks @honeywhite, have you tried it yet?
If you want to download the ISO PM me and I will give you the link :wink:

1 Like

I did try it, have it on a test computer, but forgot to bookmark the URL for the installation. If you could re-send me the link, that'd be great. I originally found the link on this forum but can't be bothered trawling for it again.

EDIT: No need, got it.

2 Likes

Its available now from my sourceforge account: https://sourceforge.net/projects/antechiso/

4 Likes

looks great, you should post info in it's own thread, maybe #other-OS category.

1 Like

Plasmin? Deepma?

Never mind. It DOES look awesome.

1 Like

Hey, thanks @dglt for your interest :wink:

That's my first kde plasma ISO, I am still finding my way around plasma and its configs etc...
While it does work and installs flawlessly (about 3 mins on my hardware) there is a few things I'd like to fix / amend etc.

Now I have gotten a bit of feedback and I know a bit more about how plasma DE works, I will be uploading another ISO soon, once I have uploaded it I will make a post about it :wink:

Thanks again :wink:

@Beardedgeek72 Thanks Man :wink:

D E E P P L A S M A

??? :wink:

1 Like

Well I would prefer De-Plasma, but you know I don't like using Plasma at all :wink: . I LOVE looking at it tho. And you are doing a very good job.

Seriously.

But yeah, that's the best suggestion I can think of about the name of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i like this :+1:

1 Like