[RaspberryPi 5] Manjaro on RaspberryPi 5

Since I have all of that screen blanking and plymouth disabled here I booted up on a fresh kde image I had here to test.

When strit first added plymouth he had to create an environment to load the graphical spinning circle in a TTY so he added the loading of the vc4 module. The kms hook was already and still is in the mkinitcpio.conf file by default. From looking around with the latest mkinitcpio it seems they added a provision to load modules that implement the privacy screen interface. Looking further at the /usr/lib/initcpio/install/kms file at the help() function they have added autodetct to minimize the modules in the image so it appears that is adding both kms and vc4 and possibly other related modules. My guess it is not like trying to add the same modules twice and errors out because now if you remove the loading of vc4 module and the kms hook in mkinitcpio plymouth works right with the spinning circle when in the past it did not.

[ray@jellyfin ~]$ cat /usr/lib/initcpio/install/kms
#!/usr/bin/env bash
# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-only

build() {
    # AGP and DRM modules for GPUs
    map add_checked_modules '/drivers/char/agp/' '/drivers/gpu/drm/'

# modules that implement the privacy screen interface
    add_checked_modules_from_symbol 'drm_privacy_screen_register' '=drivers/platform'
}

help() {
    cat <<HELPEOF
Adds KMS and privacy screen drivers to the initramfs image. To minimize the
modules in the image, add the autodetect hook too.
HELPEOF
}

What is frustrating is I have been watching the thread on the arch-arm forum since it was first posted as I look over the forms every day. It has now grown to 4 pages and no one with any rank has responded or no commits has been made in their pkgbuild git. Sure I can fix things but just as soon as I did they might change mkinitcpio and I would have to do everything all over again.

Hi,

How did you install Manjaro ARM KDE on Raspberry Pi 5?
I’ve also received my PI5 this week and can’t make it to boot :frowning: I’ve tried Raspberry Pi imager with the image for Pi 4 form Manjaro download page and with manjaro-arm-installer without success :frowning_face:
Can you, please, point a path to me, so I can run Manjaro on my new Pi5?
Thanks,

https://github.com/manjaro-arm/rpi4-images/releases/tag/20231120

I’ll try it. :+1:
Thanks.

When you are done you may want to install the PiOS patched mesa that has support not in mainline yet for the pi5. Replace the mesa files you currently have installed.

mesa_23.2.1-2~bpo12+rpt2

mesa-23.3 release with Pi5 supported.

Then hopefully it won’t take long to hit our reps’s.

Hi,

Basically, I just cloned (using Clonezilla) the Manjaro SD card from my Pi 4, put it on my Pinebook Pro, chrooted into it, uninstalled all pi4 specific packages (mainly the kernel and firmware stuff), installed the pi5 ones instead, et voilà.

Afterwards, per Darksky’s sugestion, I also installed the patched Mesa, but my Pi5 was already working quite good…

Here is the mesa-23.3.0 packages released yesterday I built. I still do not have my pi5 yet. It has been 7 days now sitting in Germany. DHL would not talk to me and said I had to contact The PiHut so I have opened an issue with them. So please test this on your pi5’s and report back. I am totally am not sure about the pi5 support being there as they have not added a Change Log yet So do a glxinfo -B and post the results.

mesa-23.3.0 (11-30-2023)

glxinfo -B, Pi4.
Vendor: Broadcom (0x14e4)
Device: V3D 4.2 (0xffffffff)
Version: 23.3.0
Accelerated: yes

test gzdoom/vulkan OK, thanks.

1 Like

Glad to hear your vulkan issues are fixed.

one more request, need those patches for wlroots/sway to set WLR_RENDERER=vulkan, maybe next build.

mesa-23.3.0-2

1 Like

that was fast, thanks.
they pending patches almost a year, don’t know why.

You will probably find out why. lol

one more patch waiting then perfect :innocent:

Hi @Darksky,

Thanks for the mesa-23.3.0-2 package. What are the mesa packages need to be installed? I understand not all are required for Arm64.

The same ones you already have installed.

pacman -Ss mesa | grep installed

Check for V3D with the mesa-23.3.0-2 packages. I want to make sure.

Currently onl mesa-23.1.8-1 has been installed.

[jfl@jfl-mnjro ~]$ pacman -Ss mesa | grep installed
extra/glu 9.0.3-1 [installed]
extra/mesa 23.1.8-1 [installed]
extra/mesa-utils 9.0.0-3 [installed]
[jfl@jfl-mnjro ~]$

Other packages like:

libva-mesa-driver
opencl-rusticl-mesa
vulkan-mesa-layers
vulkan-panfrost
vulkan-swrast
vulkan-virtio

Will these packages if installed enhance the performance for Amlogic Soc?

I have no clue. I do not have that device so it is off my radar. The only package you would install out of the new packages is mesa though.