Raspberry Pi Kernels (2.0)

I just built 1.9.15-1 and it also gives the error. The problem is the kernel version check is not working that they added. Remove the line ConditionKernelVersion=<5.6 from /usr/lib/systemd/system/haveged.service

[ray@pi4 ~]$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
[ray@pi4 ~]$ systemctl status haveged
○ haveged.service - Entropy Daemon based on the HAVEGE algorithm
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/haveged.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
  Condition: start condition failed at Tue 2021-08-31 08:11:20 CDT; 1 month 1 day ago
             └─ ConditionKernelVersion=<5.6 was not met
       Docs: man:haveged(8)
             http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/
[ray@pi4 ~]$  
[ray@pi4 ~]$ pacman -Ss haveged
extra/haveged 1.9.14-1 [installed: 1.9.15-1]
    Entropy harvesting daemon using CPU timings

After removal of the line:

[ray@pi4 ~]$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail
[ray@pi4 ~]$ systemctl status haveged
● haveged.service - Entropy Daemon based on the HAVEGE algorithm
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/haveged.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-08-31 08:11:18 CDT; 1 month 1 day ago
       Docs: man:haveged(8)
             http://www.issihosts.com/haveged/
   Main PID: 153 (haveged)
      Tasks: 1 (limit: 8982)
        CPU: 418ms
     CGroup: /system.slice/haveged.service
             └─153 /usr/bin/haveged -w 1024 -v 1 --Foreground

Notice: journal has been rotated since unit was started, output may be incomplete.
[ray@pi4 ~]$ pacman -Ss haveged
extra/haveged 1.9.14-1 [installed: 1.9.15-1]
    Entropy harvesting daemon using CPU timings

ConditionKernelVersion<=5.6 is the proper test, this works.

Edit: At least I think it is what was intended. :slight_smile:
Otherwise I believe the comparison is based on “=” with “<” as part of the version string.

Nope, I was incorrect.

It was intended for the x86 part https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/arch-boxes/-/merge_requests/167

they were supposed to remove the patch for the haveged.service… the one which introduces the kernel condition. Maybe I didn’t see correctly.

The haveged.service failed on my x86 with the kernel check but on it the available entropy is much higher than with the pi4 when the service fails.

[ray@ray-pc ~]$ cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail

472 available entropy when the .service fails on the pi seems to be too low to me but I do not know at the moment what is recommended.

I know it’s too low and that’s why I asked at my first post.
It is not related to your new kernel release finally.
I have opened a request for updating this package on another post because I thought that this kernel condition was removed in the new package version.
Maybe we can merge that discussion to this post https://forum.manjaro.org/t/havaged-1-9-15-1/84957 ?

On hackaday post it says it needs to be some where around 3000 with the pi.

It vaguely has to do with the kernel. It is appearing that kernel 5.6 and greater the kernel provides the entropy but it looks like to me it is not doing much for the arm side.

RC kernel, kms with bold type setup can not logon plasma, fkms work.

I do not use plasma but all modes work here on XFCE.

Use fkms to boot into plasma, change config.txt to kms and then disable the compositor at startup and reboot.

its kwin & wayland issue, should we have kwin-git in testing?

The latest linux-rpi4-rc kernel packages has been pushed to the unstable branch when the mirrors sync. In testing I did not see any difference than the last version.

linux-rpi4-rc 5.15.rc4-1
linux-rpi4-rc-headers 5.15.rc4-1

The drm-next for the 5.16 kernel has more v3d changes.

5.16 sounds like a big update with this feature and zstd updated to 1.4.10.
I guess that will provide some new ways for kernel image compression from Archlinux… wait & see!

pi4 boot from usb, mmc1: Controller never released inhibit bit(s)
this is quite some time, what is that?

Not really sure but researching it has appeared from different types of installs with people but in each case a fresh install fixed it. If it was me I would first try reinstalling the kernel and the 2 raspberrypi-bootloader packages. I would also switch to the stable firmware with the eeprom if you are not already there with it.

There are also some cases with bad sdcards but that does not seem to be the issue with you as you are booting with usb.

kernel & bootloader both in testing.
eeprom stable & beta both same issue message.

I boot on usb, but I have different messages:
dmesg | grep mmc1

[    0.769758] mmc1: new high speed SDIO card at address 0001
[    5.191383] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,4-model-b.bin failed with error -2

kernel 5.15.0-rc4-1

Long story short the brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,4-model-b.bin can be ignored. It just looks for it first in /usr/lib/firmware/updates/brcm/ but winds up using brcmfmac43455-sdio.bin for wifi.

the message is on screen every booting not in log.