Raspberry pi 64 bit apps

Hi all,
I am running raspbian on a raspberry pi 4. I'm looking for a 64bit OS to run some 64bit apps, like 64bit Nextcloud docker container. Manjaro seems like a very promising way to go, but before I wipe my SD and install Manjaro, I wanted to check here if anyone is actually running 64bit apps (including docker) without issues.
Thanks!

@thrubovc I moved your post to the Manjaro Arm sub-forum. You have a better chance of having your question answered there.

The Manjaro ARM OS is entirely 64-bit based. So all packages (system, desktop and apps) are 64-bit. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yay! Thanks Strit for the confirmation. Nextcloud (php really) has some problems handling large files on 32 bit platforms, I'll give Manjaro a go then! I will report my experience.

You need to know that you still can't run the regular x86_64 containers on docker with Raspberry Pi 4. You need images that support ARM64 or Aarch64 system.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, I am aware of this. Thankfully Nextcloud is also available in the arm 64 version, that's why I'm keeping my hopes up.

after the installation, I started wondering if there's a possibility of a headless start. I read somewhere that Manjaro does not support a headless start, which turned out to be incorrect. ssh to root@[manjaro server ip] works flawlessly (first login is allowed w/o password). thanks

1 Like

everything has been running smooth, I have adapted my ansible playbook to set up the new machine. Today I came to the part when I run my services in docker images, and I came to a dead stop where I realized that I have my previous postgres (ARM32) data files saved in a volume, but I didn't think of dumping the database into a file to re-import on the new system. Now my postgres won't start since it's ARM64 and it says the files are incompatible. I'm unaware of an option to specify different architectures when pulling docker images... I'm glad I've set up all my system config in an ansible playbook, since going back to raspbian, running the database there, dumping the data and going back to manjaro seems like the only option now... unless someone has a better idea? :sweat_smile:

False alarm. Docker doesn't have a way of specifying the architecture of the downloaded image, but the official postgres image does. I have downloaded the 32bit version of postgres and all works like charm. I am able to make use of full functionality of nextcloud which is the primary reason I have switched to manjaro. Thanks again!

Forum kindly sponsored by