Raspberry Pi 5 official Support?

Hmm I see so it’s not officially supported yet, it doesn’t have a image for it yet but to use it you need to switch to the unstable branch and hardware acceleration and wayland issues

Interesting, I might look into getting one at some point but Idk if I want to wait for official support and completed support or get it while it’s still in development on Manjaro and dev test. Either way it’s going to be fun to tinker even if I was hoping for a more complete experience but that’s ok I know it is in development :grin: :+1:

By the way what resolution were you running at and was Firefox in a window?

Is the Raspberry Pi 5 supported on Manjaro arm ?

I refreshed the arm profiles sudo getarmprofiles -f and nothing about this device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G6jZd4gHtM

The rpi4 profile supports all RPi devices that supports 64bit.

1 Like

Soo I have a pi 5 on the way, do I need to change or add any overlays on the config or do I need to just install the pi5 kernel package and that’s it? also on that note what if a user doesn’t have a previous raspberry pi, how are they meant to install the pi 5 kernel? I think we should have a separate images for the Rasperry pi devices. I tried Manjaro on my Pi 3 and I only got a black screen, I read that you needed to change an overlay in the config but it still didn’t work (didn’t really matter to me as I was just doing a test) but it did make me think that separate images would be a better solution for out of the box support unless I am wrong and there is something the manjaro image does that I don’t know about between pi devices :smile:

There is separate images

You may have downloaded the generic image - click the dropdown and select Raspeberry Pi

Screenshot

To avoid the manual interaction - I recommend using the Manjaro Linux tool to prepare the sd card.

You can use the tool on any system - even non Manjaro - so there is that.

Please read README.md · master · manjaro-arm / applications / manjaro-arm-installer · GitLab for more info

Always use an up-to-date system (x86_64) if using another manjaro arm system (skip the qemu package)

sudo pacman -Syu base-devel qemu-user-static-binfmt
sudo systemctl restart systemd-binfmt

Prepare the SD-card

git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/applications/manjaro-arm-installer
cd manjaro-arm-installer
sudo bash manjaro-arm-installer arm-unstable

Ah ok that was what I was going to do but will I need to do anything else for it? not that doing anything else is an issue for me

I’ll also give the manual instructions a go also :slight_smile:

also dialog is needed

git clone https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/applications/manjaro-arm-installer
cd manjaro-arm-installer
sudo bash manjaro-arm-installer arm-unstable
Cloning into 'manjaro-arm-installer'...
warning: redirecting to https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/applications/manjaro-arm-installer.git/
remote: Enumerating objects: 741, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (258/258), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (98/98), done.
remote: Total 741 (delta 163), reused 251 (delta 160), pack-reused 483
Receiving objects: 100% (741/741), 178.02 KiB | 272.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (392/392), done.
dialog command is missing! Please install the relevant package.

By the way is it wise to use unstable or is that necessary at the moment?

Due to the updates in the last few weeks breaking things I would biild the image on stable until things get ironed out.

Right I see, he didn’t tell me about that so I guess I’ll re do the rebuild with stable instead. Thanks for letting me know! I haven’t got to test it yet since I am still waiting for my pi 5 to arrive

The last I heard Calamares and KDE/Plasma is broke on unstable.

Oh I see well that would be an issue to use so it seems like sticking to stable is a better idea for KDE users, I am just going to be using tried and tested XFCE4 but I do wonder how Gnome runs on the pi 5

XFCE is what I use and I have no issues on unstable but with Calamares broke going through the initial setup will be a no go. If you happen to run into an issue with the pi5 kernel you can always just install the latest kernel packages only on unstable then switch back to stable.

linux-rpi5
linuxrpi5-headers
rpi-overlays
raspberrypi-bootloader
raspberrypi-bootloader-x

If you have adequate cooling like me I have this overclock in my config.txt.

# Pi5
over_voltage_delta=500000
arm_freq=2800
gpu_freq=800
# Uncomment below if needed
#usb_max_current_enable=1

Added:

Before I forget. I had to disable Window Compositing in XFCE to get rid of some blinking mouse issues.

Alright thanks for letting me know

I have this case, I should have decent cooling I believe

Oh is the compositor an issue? that is a real shame, is it still an issue now?

Can’t remember when it started. I believe after a mesa upgrade but do not know what it is doing on stable. I never checked if it was fixed. I pretty much do not care.

Right I guess I’ll have to find out with my testing tho I think we should care to make sure the experience is fixed and working properly and gives the user the best possible experience to best take advantage of the hardware.

1 Like

So when can we expect an official release for Pi-5? I do not see it among the options when i select ARM in the download section.

Yeah I noticed the mouse flickering graphical issue at times, defiantly something that needs to be fixed

Here is a good exapmle to install manjaro on pi-5 (rapsberrypy 5).
But you should have pi-4 (rapsberrypy 4).

I have installed manjaro to my pi-5 this way a few days ago.
I am using hyprland and it works fine.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=367491

The key to me was update manjaro software stable rpi4 first and change to unstable branch later and then install software.

outline of this method.

0. I have manjaro-arm rpi4 on SD-card in my pi-4.
1. update pi-4. 
2. move to unstable branch.
3. install kernel & some pkgs etc.
4. modify some setting parameter; overclock etc... if you need.
5. set updated SD-card to pi-5 and run.

If manjaro already supports pi-5, please let me know…

I would say the easier way is to use the manjaro-arm-installer tool to create the SD card for the pi 5 at least until they provide the img files for the pi 5 for a out of the box experience.

https://github.com/manjaro-arm/rpi4-images/releases
The only difference is that you must install eeprom for rpi5 or rpi4 for updating. By default the img install the 4K and 16K kernel and auto_initramfs=1 choose the right one unless you force linux-rpi4 (4K) with kernel=kernel8.img in config.txt

Maybe it’s time for renaming the img and for the kernel too like arch

linux-rpi-16k
Linux kernel and modules (RPi Foundation fork) with 16k pagesize for bcm2712/RPi5 ONLY
linux-rpi
Linux kernel and modules (RPi Foundation fork)

linux-rpi-16k is the equivalent of linux-rpi5 just for rpi5
linux-rpi is the equivalent of linux-rpi4 but is compatible with rpi5 4K and rpi4 (kernel=kernel8.img)

l