Raspberry Pi 4 not booting after update

Hi!

I've been running the Pi 4 with 4GB RAM on Manjaro+KDE for quite some time, but after the newest updates it does not boot any more. This was installed with the manjaro-arm installer.
I also reinstalled Manjaro ARM 19.10 and after an update it does not boot again. For this install i used the 19.10 prebuilt KDE image.

It does not only hang at some special place while booting, it does not "post" at all and i do not get any display or serial output. It does boot again, if i just copy back the contents of BOOT from the original image, so this seems to be some kind of kernel image related issue.

Does anybody already know whats up there? Thanks in advance,

Georg

I don't think it's the kernel. I think it's the firmware bootloader package that got updated not long ago.
There's been some threads about it recently on various forums.

So I would probably try downgrading the raspberrypi-bootloader package and see if that helps.
If it does, add it to /etc/pacman.conf IgnorePkg=.

I also probably need to update the kernel again.

One thing to point out is with the latest RPi firmware update If you are overclocking it will not boot. From reading the RPi forums with people complaining the powers to be at this point do not care about fixing it and so far they seem to not want to treat it as a bug.

With the change their goal was to reduce the cpu temp with the change by throttling the cpu at different cpu speeds in increments as needed maxing out using their top recommended speed.

I do not overclock but at the same time I am not in agreement with the present situation they have implemented. People that overclock are conscious of the risks for the most part and have the necessary fans and heat sinks and watch the cpu temp and will not overclock to trigger the thermal fuse to void their warranty.

Having said that if you are overclocking comment out the overclocking gpu_freq= line in your /boot/config.txt file and reboot and it should work. In my tests here this line was not much benefit anyway. If you also have a v3d_freq= overclocking entry in config.txt you may have to comment it out also.

There is one draw back with downgrading the RPi's firmware is that they fix and add features from time to time that one will miss out on and as time goes on with changes being made with the kernel one may not be able to boot at all.

1 Like

Hi there!

I am reading this thread with great interest.

Last week, I installed Manjaro 19.10/KDE on my RPi4. After upgrading all packages it was no longer booting (kernel panic). I flashed again the SD card and was back in business - though I've not been updated anything yet until I got a better clue about what was breaking it.

So, for now, I should avoid kernel and firmware bootloader packages updates? Is that right?

Also, regarding updating the firmware, what is the recommended way of installing eeprom tools?
Same question for the gpio stuff I need to make my Pi4 case work (fan and power button)... Is AUR the way to go? Or is Manjaro providing specific repos for ARM/RPi4?
Just asking, I'm new to Manjaro/Arch (using Gentoo for the last 15 years)

OK, I found this thread about eeprom.

I'll have a look at /etc/pacman.conf to block the updates for now; I'm really looking forward to getting updates on a regular basis again soon!

Please keep me posted on the coming kernel updates!

Thank you!

I just tried it and removed all (gpu) overclock settings and it works just fine! CPU overclock works.

This basically sounds reasonable to me (finally CPU-freq with multiple clock steps) but it is pretty annoying that this update prevents booting if any gpu-overclock is set.

But thank you anyways, you helped a lot! Keep up the great work!

Forum kindly sponsored by