Raspberry Pi 4 announced!

The new Raspberry Pi 4 is announced :smile: !

https://www.raspberrypi.org

Specifications

• Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
  • 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
  • 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
  • Gigabit Ethernet
  • 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
  • Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
  • 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
  • 2-lane MIPI DSI display port
  • 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
  • 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
  • H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
  • OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
  • Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
  • 5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
  • 5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
  • Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
  • Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient

*A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

2 Likes

Already bought one for testing.

2 Likes

Awesome! Will buy 2 soon myself, one for a DIY NAS and one for Manjaro ARM which will be behind my TV :smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thanks! I bought the 4G ram basic with power supply and heat sinks. Looks like it could be a month before it gets here. Grrrrrrrr

I hope it runs cooler than Pi3, I've had nothing but problems with my Pi3 (not 3+) even with heatsinks fitted.
I used it for LibreElec but had to go back to my trusty Pi2, which runs flawless btw.

How about HEVC/x265 ? Anybody know if that is hardware accelerated on Pi4 ?
[edit]
Yes it is.
Finally!

Fantastic news! I've only recently discoverd the Pi's. I'm really happy that the 4's are comming, as I personally need one (or two) that have a more powerful CPU & more RAM. (I'm sure I'm not alone there.) USB-3 is a great bonus on top of that, apart from all else.

All in all, great stuff. :slight_smile:

I'll be replacing my aging android media center with one of these..
Kodi-jaro time !

1 Like

I checked the latest upstream 5.2 kernel and the .dts is not there. Then I checked the pi foundations's tree and it is there but only in the 4.19 kernel tree. I have always done their latest dev tree which is the same version as upstream dev tree. Hopefully some one will make a move before I get my new pi4. I really hate to run a 4.19 kernel.

Pi3b+ does run hotter. The heat sinks does not help much when the board is in a case with no fan. The heat gets trapped in the case with no where to go. I had to add a case with a fan (along with the heat sinks) and have no more problems. Otherwise the cpu will cut back it's speed when it reaches a certain temperature.

You also need to watch the ambient temperature in the room.

Does anyone know if the RPi 4 will be able to boot from a drive connected to USB 3.0?

Also, their tech specs state:

H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)

Does this mean it cannot handle H264 @ 4k but only H265? That would seem a bit odd to me as H264 is still seemingly the more popular codec and should be easier to decode than H265 (or am I mistaken?).

Lastly, is there any official word on how the USB 2/3, NIC, Wifi and Bluetooth are all setup? IE: I think unlike prior models this should be able to hit 1Gb on the NIC but does using USB 2/3, the NIC AND wifi cause any sort of bottle neck or has that been addressed?

Here is an extensive review that may be to your liking and might answer your questions :slight_smile:

And here is a guide from the same website on how to overclock the new Raspberry Pi 4 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I removed the top of the case, didn't help, still got artifacts and random crashes.
As for ambient temp, just normal room temperature.

Can you link it to me? I can't find it....

And it seems it does not need uboot since it uses it's eeprom.

Are you overclocking it? I do not overclock anything here. I do too much intensive things here. Just was not worth it.

Well I assume overclocking is and will always be on a voluntary base, but with a board like this and its price and availability, it might be fun to learn it without any huge repercussions to say it like that :slight_smile:

But I do agree, that.. with the specs this board has as standard, I don't think you really need to overclock it to be fair.

I just simply linked both articles for more extensive insight on the new Raspberry Pi 4 :smile:

arch/arm64/boot/dts/bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dts

when it is compiled it will be: bcm2711-rpi-4-b.dtb

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

@Strit

Config here when you do a make bcm2711_defconfig to get a starting .config to work with:

arch/arm64/configs/bcm2711_defconfig

I am hoping by the time I get mine the newer kernel tree will be updated:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/tree/rpi-5.2.y/arch

That is some decent hardware for a nice price. Although seeing the temperature comparison from Tom's Hardware review I don't feel much comfortable without any additional heat dissipation.

I hope it will be compatible with TV Hat since my parents will need an upgrade for a "new" standard DVB-T2/HEVC.
Does anyone know if onboard microHDMI ports support CEC like the older models?

No problem. I was responding to Michael1974 and his overheating issue.

All is good

1 Like

If this concerns the GPIO pins, it will be fully backwards compatible :slight_smile:

This, I do not know (yet). more information will come out soon with more reviews to follow :slight_smile: