Raspberry Pi 4 5.4.1 Kernel

Strit has made available linux-rpi4-mainline 5.4.1-1 in the repo for testing if one so desires.

[ray@manjaro ~]$ pacman -Ss linux-rpi4-mainline
core/linux-rpi4-mainline 5.4.1-1 [installed]
    The Linux Kernel and modules - Raspberry Pi 4 64-bit kernel
core/linux-rpi4-mainline-headers 5.4.1-1 [installed]
    Header files and scripts for building modules for linux kernel -
    Raspberry Pi 4 64-bit kernel

It is the RPi tree kernel with all of the current upstream code. I have been testing the 5.4.0-rc8 kernel for about a week and not run into any issues. I ran a few tests this mourning with the 5.4.1 in the repo and all seems to be still ok.

Be advised it will overwrite your /boot/config.txt and cmdline.txt files but will back them up if you have special settings you need to get to. Example: mine would not boot because of special monitor settings because of not getting EDID info and I have the rootfs on a USB 3.0 drive.

There are very few dropped frames playing this 1920x1280 30fps video with out any overclocking just like the 4.19 kernel:

Here I did the same video but overclocked the cpu to 1800 and it only had 1 dropped frame at the same point in the video. I am not recommending overclock and if you do so it is at your own risk but if you do I highly recommend a proper way of cooling with heat sinks and fan.

My config.txt additions:

over_voltage=2
arm_freq=1800
gpu_freq=500
v3d_freq=500

4 Likes

Kernel works nicely, but with your overclocking i had a freeze on the login prompt,
so i just keep default settings, for my usecase so far all smooth.

...EDIT
weird but with: core_freq=500 #gpu_freq=500
it works so far.

I don't suppose this was built with 32-bit support?

No it is not.

Regarding overclocking see this: https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/1290#issuecomment-557923066

gpu_freq will set core_freq so you have to place the core_freq line after it. This workaround seems to be working very well so far if you want slight GPU overclocking. Otherwise you can omit all lines from the first post but the over_voltage and arm_freq lines. If there are any hints of stability problems revert to default.

I'm gonna try this kernel later and see if everything is working.

Im testing this also,
does it work with userland stuff?

This is awesome, I got my Pi 4 a few days ago and I've been testing every OS I can get my hands on, Manjaro easily runs the best and has the best user experience.

And now it runs even better with this kernel and overclocking update.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. How do you get those dropped frame stats to appear over the video?
  2. As a new user any other useful Pi 4/ Manjaro hacks or info I should know about?

Thanks!

In youtube video when you right click on the video it will show you the youtube options like this.

Just click on Stats for nerds
It will show you the stats like this.

You can check out the threads on RPI4 see if there is anything of your interest.

Thanks.

1 Like

If playing a local movie in mpv Shift+I.

2 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by