Linus Tech Tips Manjaro KDE plasma

Actually many of Linus staff is a Linux user. As of 2021 his last Windows server was switched to Linux. We Finally Did it Properly - "Linux" Whonnock Upgrade - YouTube. If you dig deeper in his videos you can see some of his staff really tuned in with Linux and also use it as a daily driver. Someone like Anthony for example. There are several videos made over the years by LTT " why switch to Linux" … Linus was mocked many many times over the years in some of his videos by colleges when something went wrong " This wouldn’t be an issue in Linux" … In this “challenge” he specifically wanted to make sure non of his Linux expert staff have an input in his experience so he can duplicate what would it feel like for a Linux noob to migrate. That being said the " challenge " was to try switching from Windows to Linux as a daily driver and see how it goes for a first time user. A wise community and developers will see this video as an 1. opportunity: on the negative feedback to fix some things and make the transition easier. 2. competition: see where we excel against other Distros and what we can take away from better solutions from others. 3. Exposure: Be it positive or negative the Manjaro name will definitely circulate more online which is a good thing. I been around Linux since it’s creation 1991 and actively using the system since the late 90s. In my opinion whatever the outcome will be, it is a great publicity and opportunity for the Linux community. I'm learning a lot about the Linux Community... - YouTube

4 Likes

Agree this was a major embarrassment for Pop!_OS. A Linux distro advertising itself as best tuned for gaming have this fail on installing steam. Ouch!!! They did respond withing a day and fixed it, but Ouch!!!. As for pulseaudio I think Manjaro ironed out some bugs in the last few years but we defiantly need to put more time into perfecting it. Mint team: I found the os pretty solid with generally even less issues then Ubuntu. Sure they have their issues ( like the window lagg bug) and there are many things we do much much better over mint but there is always something we can learn from competition.

2 Likes

Hah. The idea of a windows server at all is hilarious.
The idea of some operation ‘finally’ changing it in 2021 is also a bit funny.

4 Likes

True, anyone claiming that AMD have zero issues are kidding themselves and NVIDIA also improved a looooot on Linux over the years. However in probability if your run both cards NVIDIA will have more problems statistically. I don’t do fanboy crap. I look at the price/performance when upgrading to a new GPU be it AMD, NVIDIA or now Intel. I have the philosophy that you vote with your dollars. AMD a lot more supportive towards the Linux community. NVIDIA they needed some arms twisting over the years to get on board and be more supportive. That being said, I’m sorry but AMD for over a decade lacked way behind in CPU and even more in GPU performance. AMD CPUs very famous for overheating and bugging out especially between 2000 - 2010. AMD GPU’s started to lose ground in around 2010 to NVIDIA. From 2005 - 2018 although I always checked what’s going on when upgrading I always went Intel/NVIDIA.However in 2018 when looking at the market AMD cpu’s really started to kick ass begining with the Thread rippers and gladly switched teams when building my new pc. As for the GPU’s AMD still lacking behind but not that much anymore I mean the RX 6900 XT really takes the fight to the RTX 3080. Sure there are some features still lacking for AMD but they are damn close. When I add up Cheaper price, better support for Linux, open source philosophy over a tiny performance loss HELLO AMD !!! This is where voting with your dollars makes sense. In the past as much as I preferred AMD philosophy over NVIDIA the benefit of NVIDIA outweighed the AMD argument. So there was a clear choice to get NVIDIA. This is not the case anymore. Now the argument swings to the other side in my opinion, AMD performance is close enough to make the jump. You want a challenge to NVIDIA? Bring down GPU price buy enabling competition? Give a middle finger to NVIDIA refusing open source drivers? Give your money to AMD making them stronger and catch up with performance and features. I will never be a fan of a brand in any aspect of life. If NVIDIA have a better philosophy, price or simply destroy AMD and Intel (upcoming GPU’s) in performance sure I’m happy to jump back to NVIDIA. As for now I interact with Manjaro (Main), Garuda, Fedora, Mint, Ubuntu, Windows 10 & 11 on a regular basis as well as test run occasionally different distros. Mixed with NVIDIA and AMD GPU’s. Both run pretty well on Linux distros but AMD is less of a hassle. Specifically if using Wayland. As of 2021 I promote AMD GPU’s to Linux users as for the future this may swing back to NVIDIA.

1 Like

Well said, absolutely agree!

Great point. The lack of company support (slowly getting better) but also some of the Linux ELITE mindset telling Linux noobs you are welcome then abusing/criticizing them when they report running into a problem instead of giving a helping hand is what turning off everyday users to switch to Linux. We need to grow up, stop the bickering and offer help instead. Should Linux be more user friendly? - YouTube

7 Likes

It’s the same as enterprise still running Ubuntu 12 because it’s too much trouble to rebuild everything on up to date OS, changing the workflow, reconfiguring everything and all. It is easier to continue with what you started with. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, isn’t it?

Another source of comments from Michael Tunnell from destination Linux, I think he is more moderate trying to cover different point of view while compared to Distrotube who has a more biased view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpQY5JRLBPM

2 Likes

Challenging Part 2 already available. For who that still didn’t watched, check link below.

I think the takeaway here is that we should be looking at the feedback coming out of this and seeing what we can do to improve things. Anything that he points out as an issue that can be resolved by the distro, (like the hardware driver plugin for KSystemSettings) should be filed as a bug and resolved. The screen he showed is a UX/UI/Design disaster and needs to be reworked. The other item he pointed out was the pamac-manager and why it doesn’t show AUR, Flatpack or Snap repositories in the default view, not until you click on search. I’m new to manjaro but it seems that the manjaro team needs UI and UX design help with end user testing. (I’m not new to Linux though, I’ve been a linux user/developer since 1997 and have led enterprise software development initiatives so I’m not a total n00b, just a n00b to manjaro and Arch based distros.) Howdy y’all btw!

Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 10.50.04 AM|690x488

1 Like

I guess it is somewhat the same, because if you are running ubuntu 12 right now it is broken, not secure, should not be your server :wink:

I disagree, at least in the blanket sense.
apt has already been patched, citing the video, to disallow users from uninstalling packages.
This simply makes the tool worse, when it was already hindered under numerous layers like sudo etc, and was done because?? Because someone once forcefully typed all those things in, including ‘I know what I am doing’ … so now my package manager wont work like a package manager?
IMHO - no thanks.

2 Likes

Yeah, I heard about the Pop guys doing that. Not sure I’m crazy about that decision, but if their target audience is new users, I kinda get why they would do it. At least, I think they probably pinned the packages, or at least have a local fork. No way upstream would accept any change like that.

The Linux desktop, UX research, Fast bug fixes, etc will happen when a lot of private companies inject money in Linux.

The kernel itself have a lot of money to keep servers running in a good spot. Android is the same.

• Canonical is injecting money for a long time in linux Desktop
  • Google is doing their job with chrome book and others
  • Valve now is injecting a lot of money due to Steam Deck and other markets decisions

Is it enough to make it happen to reach at least 5% or 10% market share or do we need more?

Less desktops environments would be better, at least to be bumped with money, but now with some companies breaking with Gnome we might see even more new desktops consuming resources (man power).

Linus Torvalds once said that one of the main issue for desktops the is waste of resources, a lot of redundancies for each distributions packaging things, etc. From the ecosystem point of view it’s true, if you look to each distro probably they have less resources them needed and major part volunteers, but zooming out, Linus is right.

1 Like

I disagree . I watched video of Brodie Robertson talking about this fix .Fix isnt supposed to stop users from uninstalling. it is about letting users know what they are doing (breaking the system). Pop os decided that there should a new file created with a name break-my-system in order to uninstall necessary components . And debian decided that apt should be called with some argument in order to uninstall necessary components . I think linus has helped debian and pop os to improve themself .

@cscs I think i understand your perspective . For a very knowledgeable Linux expert like you ,these things would feel unnecessary . At this point i don’t think you would be able think from his(normie’s) perspective . As some who just started using linux i believe i can understand what linus is thinking . And some others(@leewsb ) who are way too wise to be true would be able understand his perspective too i guess

This guy pointed out some UI/UX flaws in the Manjaro Settings manager( Nvidia driver section) which I think are legit. Hope the design team can take some pointers!
Cheers!

1 Like

Another two Linux guys reacting to the Challenge video #1 and #2 combined into a single video, very nice talk.

Two of my favorite Linux youtubers joined, excellent stuff.

New settings manager (Manjaro Control Panel) is under work from some time already.

4 Likes

And here is the part #3 with more direct feedback for Manjaro and Dolphin (KDE).