Radeon rx 590 games crash

Hi :smiley:
I'm having problems with the graphic card Radeon rx 590, games crash whit Manjaros open-source drivers.
But the drivers on amd website are working for ubuntu 18.04. Now I want to test these drivers for Manjaro but they are for Ubuntu. How do I install this on Manjaro? I can see that I have 19.30 amdgpu-pro in aur but I think I need 19.50.

I installed the version in current aur (19.30) and I get a "whit screen" whit working mouse on top of the display manger when I try to log in. 19.30 should be working that was the one I try whit Ubuntu.

its similar to this problem

https://community.amd.com/thread/246894

It is highly not recommended to install any programs outside of the repos as it can cause a lot of issues. And you'd have to self maintain everything yourself from then onwards.

You'll have to wait until the maintainer updates the package.

AMDGPU-Pro is not meant for gaming at all. Unless you are needed AMDGPU-Pro to run some specific software, it is HIGHLY not recommended to use. AMDGPU-Pro is meant for development and business.

Have you tried any of the other kernels to see if you still have issues? Kernel 5.3, 5.4, 5.5

Also, without any error notes from the terminal, none of us can help troubleshoot the issue

1 Like

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU#AMDGPU_PRO

When it comes to OpenGL games, the RadeonSI Gallium3D driver simply dominates the proprietary AMD OpenGL driver. About the only advantage to the closed-source AMD OpenGL driver is its support for GL 4.6 while RadeonSI is still limited to GL 4.5 until its SPIR-V ingestion support is completed.

I wanted to test if the bug was present in Manjaro whit proprietary driver. I was not gonna use them

its the same with kernel 5.4.5 haven't tried 5.5

From my experiences on Arch and Manjaro from a Linux gamer's perspective, the only thing from AMDGPU-Pro we might want to consider is getting AMDGPU-Pro's AMDVLK implementation and using that...though, for me lately (Mesa 20+), it has performed worse than RADV across the board with my RX 580. AMDVLK-Pro can live beside RADV and the open source AMDVLK so it's pretty safe to install and forget about.

I recommend installing it from TK-Glitch's PKGBUILD collection.

I do not recommend installing the complete AMDGPU-Pro driver on Manjaro (or Arch). I've never had good results installing all of it. Nothing in it will really benefit your 590 or my 580. Figure I'll mention that AMDGPU-Pro's OpenCL package can be installed alone as well. That and AMDVLK-Pro are the only things from AMDGPU-Pro you should consider using on Manjaro. The OpenCL package isn't something needed for gaming.

The only people that actually require AMDGPU-Pro are people who buy bleeding-edge hardware since it can take a kernel release or two for what's in AMD's staging repos to make it to mainline and AMD can sidestep that a bit with Pro packages.

In that AMD thread you mentioned using Mesa-git -- is that still the case? A complete AMDGPU-Pro + Mesa-git likely will not work together outside of the two packages I mentioned above (and I use them with Mesa-git).

It's really worth mentioning that there has also been a lot of changes to Mesa-git between 19.2, 19.3 and 20.0 and that it wouldn't hurt to revert back to what the repositories offer to ensure you didn't have a bad build. There's also a mesa-git PKGBUILD at the same git repo as the AMDVLK-Pro one I linked to above. It's what I use for Mesa-git.

Also, what game or games in particular are you having issues with?

EDIT: After reading your AMD post a bit more....I think your 590 overheats like my 580 did before I undervolted it. I could hardly game before it would either get really laggy or just conk out. After watching the thermals and seeing that it would thermal throttle and de-throttle over and over again, I undervolted my timings and got it to where it stayed below 80C (and overclocked my memory to boot).

I used WattmanGTK to view temps and tweak settings and then created a systemd unit to load my undervolt settings on boot. Been doing that for almost a year now and it's the literal first thing I do upon a fresh Linux install because I can't play games w/o it regardless of the distribution.

2 Likes

How would I configure this you did?

Sorry, been a bit busy these past couple of days.

Give me another day for a proper response. If you don't know what you're doing you can damage your hardware and, because of that, I feel that I should reply with a guide-level answer because it'll involve a bit of theory, custom systemd units, kernel command line editing, and more.

okej I wont mess whit that again, I tried what he did on the video
I did manage to go to 1060 mV whit state 7, hope i didn't damage anything :confused:
I used the same program he had for testing Unigine_Superposition-1.1 it crash regardless of settings, I tried 1090 mV too

Forum kindly sponsored by