{Question} Menu Bar in Gnome

How can i display the menu options of window at the menu bar [Top of the Gnome shell] rather than at the window’s title bar ?

Maybe you need “No Title Bar” . Check that
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1267/no-title-bar/
and install it.

No Thats not what i was up to actually i want this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPENk6rlVU like in Unity Desktop. This extension is able to show for example the title of the web page. What i want menu’s like “file” “view”“help”. to be shown above.

Take a look at this.

No It didnt work. In those screenshots at the link it was showing but its not working on my system. Its just showing application icon and a small submenu.

Have you tried to install and make it work following all the instructions?
Have you read all the “Do it at your own risk!” disclaimers?
It may look nice but it is not mature and complete, nor easy to setup.
It is not even in the official extensions…
So maybe you/we should wait for that…

It is a new incomplete project, so it working on a different environment than it is developed on is not surprising. Give it a few months, maybe an year, and it will either die or start working.

1 Like

It seems to work ok for me:

I installed appmenu-gtk-module from aur and installed the extension with these commands:

git clone https://github.com/lestcape/Gnome-Global-AppMenu
mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
cp -r Gnome-Global-AppMenu/gnomeGlobalAppMenu@lestcape ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/

Then reboot and enable it in tweak tool

No in my case its just showing the application or file name at the top with a logo like in yours but not showing file edit view stuff.

Can you describe what you have done already, to make it work?

Currently this extension is the only way to have global menus in gnome. Gnome shell has tons of restrictions and other global menus systems can’t be implemented there (like mate’s one). The extension works if you follow instruction and install all dependencies first. Alas, it has its issues mainly because of Gnome’s limitation.

Gnome developers clearly stated that they are not interested in global menus and there will be no global menus for Gnome. Community tries to get around it but as you see, results are so so. Whatever API and things are used in this extension, they may be broken with each new gnome release because Gnome doesn’t care about it.

If you like Unity alike styled menus, you’re better off with Plasma. Since Plasma 5.13 global menus will support gtk and libre menus, firefox menus work in neon but not sure if they will make it to other distributions on time. You can also make Plasma 5.12 to work with most global menus (Qt, GTK, libre) if you follow those instructions:

Also, for full or even enhanced experience with global menus, install latte, use it as a upper panel, use Active Window Control widget. Gnome will never offer so advanced and customizable global menus so if you care about them, Gnome is not your DE, Plasma or Mate is.

Here is some example how it can work on Plasma:

Well, is not exactly like that… The problem is worse. Please note that the KDE implementation used the same implementation that is used in Gnome Shell internally for the Gtk menus. So a problem here is a breake for all and not just in gnome shell.

The difference is then the poor performance of Gnome Shell more than anything else and the fact that in KDE they can improve and take decisions while this is not FULLY possible in an extension.

Note that the extension is in gitlab and not in github anymore.

1 Like

Unless gnome devs won’t change their mind this will stay a barrier but at least gnome 4 should have multithreading and hopefully better performance. Maybe with performance they will open up a bit for the idea of global menus after all. Nothing is definitive so we’ll see.

I would also like to see some sane options that allow for theming coherence (buttons on panel should follow easily the theme), configurability (ability to place buttons or menu in the panel, ability to use window or application names in a panel) and so on, basically all what Active Windows Control applet does. In Mate we have just menus and stripping titlebar and that causes that the only viable option is to use the default theme, otherwise there will be inconsistency. That pains for my inner “theming freak” :wink:

So far only Plasma did it right (well it’s not directly because of Plasma, without AWC experience would be severely lacking, but the fact that Plasma allows for it is so awesome). Sure, there are lacks and it’s not perfect but we can enjoy it more because Plasma can look as we wish and stay consistent, giving a feeling of integrity that is so lacking on windows. I would like to see the same on other DEs, just for the sake of choice. I really liked Gnome but as soon as I got global menus in Plasma, I started to feel that Gnome stayed behind and it didn’t have enough features. I guess Gnome is not for me but it’s a good DE which has its charm, but that’s also thanks to hard work of developers who create extensions. They provide the needed functionality and the fun and ability to customize Gnome.

I just wished that Gnome devs would support more plugin developers, work with them and maybe acknowledge their importance to the DE.

1 Like

Unless gnome devs won’t change their mind this will stay a barrier

This is a conception, they will not change their minds.

but at least gnome 4 should have multithreading and hopefully better performance. Maybe with performance they will open up a bit for the idea of global menus after all. Nothing is definitive so we’ll see.

I agree with you and also I want to see this a lot… But probably they introduce support for Gtk and then discontinues Clutter in Gnome 4. If this happens will be a dramatically change for the extension and probably the best will be port vala-panel from vala to gjs instead of port the extension from clutter to gtk.

I would also like to see some sane options that allow for theming coherence (buttons on panel should follow easily the theme), configurability (ability to place buttons or menu in the panel, ability to use window or application names in a panel) and so on, basically all what Active Windows Control applet does.

The way to see all this is redefine all again and make it with gtk instead of clutter, because gtk have already define all that things while in clutter this is a miss…

In Mate we have just menus and stripping titlebar and that causes that the only viable option is to use the default theme, otherwise there will be inconsistency. That pains for my inner “theming freak”

It’s more-less the same in gnome shell.

So far only Plasma did it right (well it’s not directly because of Plasma, without AWC experience would be severely lacking, but the fact that Plasma allows for it is so awesome). Sure, there are lacks and it’s not perfect but we can enjoy it more because Plasma can look as we wish and stay consistent, giving a feeling of integrity that is so lacking on windows. I would like to see the same on other DEs, just for the sake of choice. I really liked Gnome but as soon as I got global menus in Plasma, I started to feel that Gnome stayed behind and it didn’t have enough features. I guess Gnome is not for me but it’s a good DE which has its charm, but that’s also thanks to hard work of developers who create extensions. They provide the needed functionality and the fun and ability to customize Gnome.

Both desktop have a good potential. There are not limitation in Gnome, the only limitation we have is in our mind and not in a code.

1 Like

Hello guys, I have Global Menu Bar (like unity) working on Manjaro Gnome.

you need install ‘appmenu-gtk-module’ and ‘libdbusmenu-gtk3 libdbusmenu-gtk2 libdbusmenu-qt4 libdbusmenu-qt5 libdbusmenu-glib’ from extra, community and multilib repositories, then install the extension:

git clone https://gitlab.com/lestcape/Gnome-Global-AppMenu
mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
cp -r Gnome-Global-AppMenu/gnomeGlobalAppMenu@lestcape ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/
rm -rf Gnome-Global-AppMenu

Reboot the computer and active the extension from extension manager on gnome-tweak

I try to put my settings for global menu extension, but I’m new in the forum, and not allowed to post more than one img. But you can always ask for that.

If you have Electron based apps, like Atom or VS Code probably won’t see the menu, it’s a bug, you need a environment variable to force electron show menu, so in terminal: $ export ELECTRON_FORCE_WINDOW_MENU_BAR=1

and $ printenv | grep ELECTRONto check if is already set

Reboot your computer and open Atom for example, you will see the menu on the top.

1 Like

Or you could put export ELECTRON_FORCE_WINDOW_MENU_BAR=1 to /etc/environment to make the change permanent? ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc might do it too…

Yes, you are right. In this answer there are several ways to set an environment variable “permanently”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by