Question: manjaro-apply-locale.desktop warnining

Hi, after the stable update I usualy go over the logs to check for errors to fix and found one that I’m not sure how to fix.

jan 01 14:03:43 HOST manjaro-apply-locale.desktop[2033]: sudo: a terminal is required to read the password; either use the -S option to read from standard input or configure an askpass helper
jan 01 14:03:43 HOST sudo[2033]: pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed
jan 01 14:03:43 HOST sudo[2033]: pam_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [USER]
jan 01 14:03:43 HOST sudo[2033]: pam_unix(sudo:auth): auth could not identify password for [USER]

manjaro-apply-locale.desktop is run from /etc/xdg/autostart
and executes sudo /usr/bin/apply-locale with edits and leaves a comment /etc/locale.gen . However there does not seem to be a edit or comment.

I’m not sure the reason is the condition that has not been met in apply-local:

Summary
#!/usr/bin/env bash

if [ -z "$(grep apply-locale /etc/locale.gen)" ]; then
    echo "Modifiy /etc/locale.gen"
    LOCALE=$(echo $LANG)
    sed -i "s|^#$LOCALE|$LOCALE|" /etc/locale.gen
    sed -i 's|^#de_DE.UTF-8|de_DE.UTF-8|' /etc/locale.gen
    sed -i 's|^#en_US.UTF-8|en_US.UTF-8|' /etc/locale.gen

echo "#Modified by apply-locale" >> /etc/locale.gen
fi

or a problem using sudo this way.

/etc/locale.gen is owned by root, no write permission by users. Certainly, should work with sudo, though… :man_shrugging:

Commented out the line #sudo /usr/bin/apply-locale in /etc/xdg/autostart/manjaro-apply-locale.desktop . No more error in the log.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.