Suggestion for XFCE team

I would like to suggest fix for an old annoing problem - restoring the actual working state of NumLock after screen lock. When I try to enter my password, the numeric keypad actually doesn’t work, altough the led is on, so I have to press numlock button once more, so the keypad start working.

After a years of using XFCE, tonight I found this thread: reported Xubuntu bug and after adding the config file: /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/50-numlock.conf, wich contains this:

[Seat:*]
greeter-setup-script=numlockx on

After reboot the numeric keypad is working - no need to prerss again the NumLock to actually actiavate it on the lockscreen.

So could I suggest to the XFCE team to review and check this and if they decide, to apply it to the future XFCE versions of Manjaro?

Hello,
It’s something that exists in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf on my Xfce, among others (and I don’t think I modified this file), and my NumLock works properly :slight_smile:

[Seat:*]

#display-stopped-script=
greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on
#session-setup-script=

Have you such a file ? Is it still with a # at the beginning of the line ?

No, this is what I have:

cat /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf | grep greeter-setup-script
# greeter-setup-script = Script to run when starting a greeter (runs as root)
#greeter-setup-script=

I have 3 manjaro xfce setups and this fix works on all of them.
PS: I it matters, I have autologin on startup enabled.

Same for me.

and I don’t have this directory.

Both the methods wiil work. LightDM - ArchWiki recommends @Denis_Pom method:

Install the numlockx package and then edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf :

/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
[Seat:*] greeter-setup-script=/usr/bin/numlockx on
1 Like

Me too. I created it according to the bug report I cited.

I have numlockx installed. Never touched lightdm.conf. It is strange it isn’t properly set up by default. That’s why I suggested to the xfce team to check and set it up. It is not a big deal, but still annoing :slight_smile:

Having NumLock turned on by default would be more annoying for users without numeric keypads and a key to turn NumLock off

NumLock can be turned on using these 2 commands:

xfconf-query -c keyboards -p /Default/Numlock -t bool -s true &&
xfconf-query -c keyboards -p /Default/RestoreNumlock -t bool -s true

Activating numlock on bootup - ArchWiki

1 Like

No it is not - a lot of systems does not have a numeric keyboard.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.