Manjaro XFCE Kernel 6.5.1-1 Display program

Since the first release of the Kernel 6.5, Display is missing the Thunderbolt dockingstation and cannot find my monitor. Anyone around here with ideas what I can do? Everything else is working with the dockingstation.

Monitor is a 27" Samsung and my machine is a Lenovo X1 Carbon 7th Gen.
inxi -b:

System:
  Host: AMX-Think Kernel: 6.5.1-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: Xfce
    v: 4.18.1 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 20QD00L1MX v: ThinkPad X1 Carbon 7th
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: LENOVO model: 20QD00L1MX v: SDK0J40697 WIN
    serial: <superuser required> UEFI: LENOVO v: N2HET35W (1.18 )
    date: 08/20/2019
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 20.3 Wh (49.9%) condition: 40.7/51.0 Wh (79.9%)
    volts: 15.2 min: 15.4
CPU:
  Info: quad core Intel Core i7-8565U [MT MCP] speed (MHz): avg: 1829
    min/max: 400/4600
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel WhiskeyLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics 620] driver: i915 v: kernel
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 21.1.8 driver: X: loaded: modesetting
    dri: iris gpu: i915 resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
  API: OpenGL Message: Unable to show GL data. Required tool glxinfo
    missing.
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Cannon Point-LP CNVi [Wireless-AC] driver: iwlwifi
  Device-2: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 75.97 GiB (15.9%)
Info:
  Processes: 249 Uptime: 5h 45m Memory: total: 16 GiB note: est.
  available: 15.31 GiB used: 2.73 GiB (17.8%) Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.29

Can you try another kernel ?
6.1 LTS or 6.4.

It works if I downgrade the kernel. But I really want to stay with the 6.5.

Any particular reason why? 6.5 is the current mainline kernel, and it’s not mature yet because it’s still too fresh. Furthermore, it’ll be EOL in a couple of months time.

6.1 is a mature long-term-support kernel and will continue receiving security updates and bug fixes until at least December 2026.

Reason why I want 6.5 is simply because other things is getting better with the OS. But knowing what’s causing the Display program from not finding the monitor should have a fix and hope these problems will not follow the later development of the Kernel and other packages Manjaro is using.

On my intel Jasper lake system, booting the system services takes about a second more on 6.5 as it did with 6.1. And it stutters for a couple of seconds on spectre checker, and it shows even more bluetooth errors. And there is no performance increase on simple benchmarks like sysbench. No point at all in my case. Maybe someone on a workstation or server will see a difference because there are supposed to be performance improvements in the multithreading.

I’m sorry, but that doesn’t make any sense at all. Just because the kernel has a higher version doesn’t mean it’s going to be better — as you can see for yourself.

If it works with a kernel of a lower version, then it’s only one more evidence of the fact that 6.5 isn’t mature yet, and that you shouldn’t be using it.

Whatever the incompatibility is in 6.5, it’ll get fixed at some point, but we’re obviously not there yet, and this has nothing to do with the rest of the operating system. The kernel and the other packages evolve independently from one another.

The latest and greatest ™.

Which is of course a stubbornly persisting illusion, brought about by the consumerist society and the world of proprietary software. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.