Qoob: a foobar-like music player for Linux

exactly what @linux-aarhus said

about pipefail I missed it was in the Arch wiki but don’t like it, anyway since you are the developer you know when you push a git tag

You can ask for co-maintainers :grin: (I’m FabioLolix on the AUR)

To me don’t seem the Arch Trusted User are enthusiast about pkgver=0

By Scimmia

Let makepkg set the pkgver and stop screwing with it.

By Eli eschwartz

I don’t understand why a number of VCS package maintainers over the years have decided to override the pkgver created by pkgver() as though “0” is somehow a holy concept.

0 Likes

Enjoy the light icon theme :wink:

I took it as a misunderstanding, for the must part. Trilby sum it up well, when he points that “the pkgver variable is meaningless in vcs PKGBUILDs. It does need to be there, but it’s content is irelevant”, as the variable is required for the package to build.

However, I have to manually increment the version number in setup.py for PiPy updates, should I do the same with the PKGBUILD?

You are very welcome :slight_smile:
How do you usually proceed?

0 Likes

@alfalfa Right, firstly

How it works:

1 You have to click to get the directory chooser - the function of which is not obvious as there are no tooltips.

2 This launches the chooser, that places the text into the text field.

3 Then you have to click Add to add the directory to the list.

4 Qoob also needs to remember it’s size and restore it on relaunch, I resize to read the track names and had to do it all over again on relaunch :persevere:

I think this is counter intuitive, you should just click Add, then if the chooser is cancelled, do nothing. If OK on the chooser is clicked, just add it.

So, my suggestion steamlines the process:

How I think it should work:

You need tooltips, I realise this causes translation problems :grin:

You can get rid of the button.

You can get rid of the text field which displays the line.

And implement all the functionality to the Add button.

And remember it’s size and layput between launches.

:Edit: Also minimize to tray would be a nice touch.

Hope the above makes sense.

The light icon theme looks good, included is the gui of the script you fixed for me :smiley:

1 Like

Very nice work just installed it on Gnome very fast.

0 Likes

For a development you set i.e. pkgver=1 for the first build because if it is blank the build don’t start, then you let makepkg to set it (as I’ve read in Arch’s mailing list, you increase it monotonically)

Can you elaborate more?
I see setup.py is used in the pkgbuild but I’m not a developer, which version number?

You mean to add a co-maintainer or how I proceed when I’m a co-maintainer?

0 Likes

@xircon Those are good suggestions to improve the user experience, I’ll work on that soon. As for the minimize to tray, it is already implemented and enabled by default.

I don’t get it, how do you ‘let’ makepkg set the version? With the pkgver()? How is it different than what I’ve done?

Some packages are distributed on the both AUR, and on PiPy for users of others distros. There is a version number in setup.py that must be incremented every time a new package is uploaded to PiPy, i.e. it is currently at 0.0.8 for qoob as it has been updated 8 times.

0 Likes

Oops, it was hidden from the tray - sorry!!!

0 Likes

Somes more updates…
btw. old preferences has to be overwritten (sorry). There was some major changes, but from now on it should okay for a while (22eae14…).

Done (1 & 2)

Done

Done

Done (1 & 2)

Thanks!

4 Likes

All working well, excellent work :smiley:

0 Likes

Some news about qoob’s development;

The app now has both a stable and a -git package, thanks to @Lolix.

Codewise, the whole library viewer/filter logic is being rewritten to be entirely asynchronous and ensure responsiveness during heavy loads. It has been the occasion to rewrite the sorting function as well, which was the main culprit for the viewer loading time. Moreover, the search function now uses the metadata already stored in the RAM, and caching features were added to speedup slower operations. Thus, the loading speed is reduced by lowering the IO operations and the overall CPU usage.

These changes were mandatory and will benefit all users, but especially those with large or remote music collections. The next release will allow efficient streaming over SSH, offering support for huge libraries and somewhat slow connections.

As these are deep changes to the core features, bugs are likely to occur. You are welcome to stay on the git package to test it and benefit from the new features and last fixes. Else please consider moving to the stable package, as the -git package will be updated shortly.

Hope you will like it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The latest release is finally up! Included are many bug fixes, some new features and speed improvements over the previous version.

I put it to test on 60 GB local library, along with a 250 GB collection streamed over SSH. Once the initial scan is done, it is quite fast !

Feedbacks are always welcome :slight_smile:

4 Likes

split this topic #32

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t access GitHub to get “Qoob”

0 Likes

Can't access GitLab to get `qoob-git`

First of all I want to say that I can’t access to gitlab (my ip is blocked) and have to build qoob from PKGBUILD.
ok. it’s not that I complaining but github is better :innocent:

Second and most important:

I added some songs to playlist. And deleted them because I choose wrong playlist. Don’t read warning (silly me). And BAM. All my files gone. Looked into trash. Nothing.
Of course it’s my bad that I didn’t read the warning, but its first time I see that behavior from a program. With one button physically delete files. Why? And trash! Why on earth qoob deleted files not to trash???:rage:

At first sight nice program but I’ll look at it later when I’ll be more calm :sunglasses:

And first suggestion - change function of “del” button If you call qoob “foobar-like music player”. And delete to trash.

0 Likes

There was a mass exodus from github because Microsoft bought it, you will have to suck it up I am afraid.

1 Like

All my projects were moved from GitHub to GitLab after Microsoft bought it. They have shown numerous time in the past that they are not trustworthy and hostile to Linux. The whole Microsoft loves Linux marketing campaing is likely just money strategically spent on the Embrace phase of their EEE strategy, but that is another topic entirely. Is there any reason why you blocked the access to GitLab?

Sorry about that. The Backspace key is used to remove song from playlist, and the Delete key is used to delete selection from disk. By default, the warning is enabled to prevent such mistake. It is unfortunate that you deleted your songs, but I find the delete function quite useful actually. Do you have a suggestion of how it should be improved? Perhaps trash support would be a good idea.

It is a foobar-like player, not a foobar port. I kept what I liked about foobar, but still they are very different programs.

0 Likes

@ thatisme (and others), meanwhile I just pushed an update to qoob-git, so the default button of the delete prompt is now “Cancel” instead of “Apply”. Therefore you’ll need to purposely click on apply to remove the files. Hope this helps.

0 Likes

I completely forgot about it. In that light I agree with you. I’m new to linux world and for me it took 2 days to build qoob from PKGBUILD (it’s not that simple with your qoob-v0.1.0.tar.bz2 without gitlab :sunglasses: Or I just don’t know how to do it easy way :smile: And I need to understand how to update in future). So u may understand my side. But I’m (again) not complaining at all.

No idea. Maybe some sanctions)

Ok. Thanks. I’ve got used to foobar’s del is just delete from playlist. And custom key to trash. For me it was Shift+Del.
I think for idiot-proof better to change del function. But I don’t insist. Backspace also good but need to practice a little :slightly_smiling_face: At least make it move files to trash (but maybe in linux world trash is not needed).

Some suggestions and questions:

• cover art don’t show images that stored in metadata of mp3 file?
  • library working as one in foobar? Is there any chance that u can add folder view (like foo_uie_explorer in foobar or files in clementine ?)
  • playlist. start playing with one mouse click. At least for the first time it’s inconvenient. I liked foobar way: left button is for selecting songs (u can hold button and move up or down to select songs). Now it’s hard to select few songs. With ctrl each time I click new song is start playing.
  • Are you planing to add some new fields in playlist (codec, etc)? Also: I can’t move “track” to the left to be first field. Is this how it meant to be?

Thanks for the program. Simple and nice. I wish u time and strength to maintain it.

0 Likes

This sounds like the best avenue. The problem is that there is no standard for trash across various Linux DE. However, there are some third-party tools that does it, so the feature could be added as an opt-dep.

Not yet, but mutagen seems to support it, so it might be added later on

I don’t quite understand the difference, could you give more details about that feature?

The normal behavior is single (left) click to select, and double click to play the media. You can select multiple title with either ctrl and shift keys.

Not really. I prefer to keep it simple. At the moment it is not possible to move the column, but it is part of the todo list, altough not a priority at the moment.

0 Likes

@alfalfa

library working as one in foobar? Is there any chance that u can add folder view (like foo_uie_explorer in foobar or files in clementine ?)

library is “watching”/indexing music catalog. Folder view it’s simply file explorer inside audio player (that shows only media files).

Hm. Strange. I’ve different behaviour: single click to play.

And another strange (for me) thing: when I move song wanting to reorder playlist it’s just deleted from playlist. (left single click & hold button - move song - release button = song deleted from playlist).

0 Likes

This is strange indeed, what is your OS / DE ?

0 Likes