qBittorrent associates itself to all file formats

It’s two clicks to know.

Spoiler alert: probably will not change anything.

The most simple and quicker way would probably be to set a default app or open with another app the file types from Dolphin. Just for a test at least, you probably will have 10 different file types max to configure if it works. The other method… I don’t know if you have seen the number of file types to review… lol

1 Like

renaming to ‘mimeapps.list.old’ (+logging out) fixed everything;
no more qbittorrent in file association or Dolphin and .mkv for example re-defaulted to vlc.
:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So the theory that having qbittorrent as default application for the octet-stream mime type makes it appear as compatible app is maybe correct.

Lesson of the day: always try the quick and easy fix before going nuts doing the not so funny other random things :smiley:

//EDIT: What is the content of mimeapps.list file now? Did it regenerate?

2 Likes

no,
i don’t usually manually associate file extensions to programs so i guess it doesn’t have a reason to regenerate,
maybe the next time I’ll use qbittorrent?
this file was created yesterday,after which my issue begun.

anyhow,next time i’ll be careful to only use magnet links as I’ve always done before.

I never use magnet link and don’t have this issue since a very long time. Not going to say it all but I open many torrents per day “wink wink”.

If I were you I would go again like you would do normally to open a torrent and see if it creates the issue again.

Maybe simply try to associate a torrent file with qbittorent in Dolphin could help too.

Anyway if it is fixed, good for you :beer:

2 Likes

Does this look like a KDE issue then? I couldn’t find anyone reporting this on anything other than Manjaro. Maybe it’s specific to Manjaro KDE. It might be worth reporting it in KDE bugtracker then.

Anyway, this would’ve drove me away from any other app, but qBittorent is too sweet to replace.

1 Like

Off topic, but @omano is there any specific reason for not using magnet links? I’ve never seen anyone preferring torrent files over magnet links. Is it for archival purposes?

i think i’ll leave it as it is for now,
“if it works,don’t break it” :slight_smile:

Yes, I have qBittorrent pick up .torrent files in Downloads, but it also gets my magnets and is the first option set in dolphin to open .torrent files.

Don’t be scared, it’s unlikely to mess up that way again.

The problem with labelling this a KDE issue is that we have no real idea how it came about… and I haven’t had a single issue with qBittorrent. It’s also nice and easy to set up with categories, like ‘TV Public’ for ‘magnet’ and ‘TV’ for private trackers - to download to my /SSD and then move into my TV folder to get scanned into Plex.

Usually people have issues with browsers - like setting FIrefox or Chrome to manage magnet links in some exotic way - but I had no such issue. Magnet links are good…

I’m not scared, I prefer a real torrent file with the proper tracker and files information in it, instead of a link that will then need qbittorrent to do some magic to make up these info. magnet links also open in qbittorrent, I just very rarely use them as I see only cons to it (not being instantaneous like a real torrent being the first one).I just open the torrent file from Firefox directly into qbittorrent.

This will need some investigation. I might look at it later this week if I don’t forget, but pretty sure it is the case on a default Manjaro KDE installation, and the guy in the thread I linked has Manjaro too. It might be a default something in Manjaro KDE. I suspect the desktop file for qbittorrent.
//EDIT: and… probably not, it seems ok there MimeType=application/x-bittorrent;x-scheme-handler/magnet;

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.