Pamac authentication failure

Hey everyone

/proc contains information about all processes running on the system. By default this is accessible to all users. This can allows an attacker to spy a lot on other processes. To allow users to only see their own processes, edit /etc/fstab and add

proc /proc proc nosuid,nodev,noexec,hidepid=2,gid=proc 0 0

systemd-logind still needs to see other users’ processes so, for user sessions to work correctly add this to /etc/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service.d/hidepid.conf

[Service]
SupplementaryGroups=proc

However when I do this, Pamac gives me an authentication failure. I can’t enter a password when I want to do something in Pamac (update, install, edit preferences) and pamac only gives me a dialog that the authentication failed.

How can I make above setting work with Pamac?

pamac uses dbus and polkit - so your changes has probably blocked that communication

1 Like

thank you
I think this issue is really tough to crack

I don’t know how to unblock the communication between pamac and dbus or polkit.

I tried adding “SupplementaryGroups=proc
to the /usr/lib/systemd/system/pamac-daemon.service file
and to the /etc/systemd/system/systemd-logind.service.d/hidepid.conf file
and also to the /etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service file

but no luck

I also tried reading the journalctl -f while I tried to get into preferences in pamac, the error does not seem to register in journalctl.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=860040

ok lol so to sum it up:

I’m actually using policykit-1 from experimental (0.113-6) so it does run as
polkitd user.

Hm, I guess this means you’d have to add your user to that group as well
(or rather any user who wants to use polkit). Which sort of defeats the
purpose of hidepid=2 to some extent.

Indeed.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.