Program to check and examine hard drives for errors and attempt to "fix" them

Hello people,

I was looking for a program to check and examine hard drives for errors and attempt to “fix” them. I was not able to do so. Basically what i am looking for is utility which resembles Windows 10/Windows 11 check disk at minimum, but more potent than check disk is strongly recommended and greatly appreciated. I intend to install it on my computer and attach/detach drives to me computer for examination.

Please provide your recommendations. As always, i will try them and provide feedback.

Thank you in advance.

Good luck and warm regards

The equivalent to chkdsk on Windows is: fsck - ArchWiki

1 Like

Besides fsck, there are a couple others 3 Useful GUI and Terminal Based Linux Disk Scanning Tools but the reality is, that it is not necessary as Linux does it on boot. Not like the old days with fat drives

2 Likes

btrfs filesystem does on the fly check - it also prevent any writes to a devices with errors - thus stopping damage before it accelerates.

It is highly sophisticated and requires regular maintance but your requiremant calls for the suggestion.

@andreas85 is a highly opionated user with a extensive knowledge of btrfs - it’s pro’s and con’s.

Search the forum and wiki for topics on btrfs - you will find plenty.

2 Likes

You can find good Information about Btrfs in the wiki

And please also have a look at:

There btrfs indirectly provided indications of a faulty RAM

You may repair damaged filesystems, BUT:

Do not repair damaged disks !

Replace them !

1 Like

good suggestion and good reading, thanks :grin: :+1:

I am thanking my time to read what you have linked.
Thank you for another good suggestion and another good reading, thanks!

Hello, i am looking for Logical/filesystem errors because of power cuts.
Otherwise i fully agree - hardware defect - hardware failure is coming soon.
Thanks for your tip, it is appreciated.

i am using BTRFS on my linux boxes by default.

thanks for your suggestion.

Another option would be to use OpenZFS .
Although a little bit different from Ext4 or ExFat , more on the likes of Btrfs.

Even for single disks, it was the ability to be almost imune to an power failure incident …

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.