Problems with partitions in dual boot with Windows

Hi!

I’m really new to Linux. So, if this question is too naive or already asked before, please bear with me and point me to the relevant site.

Around a week back, my Windows 10installation got corrupt and I failed to recover it. Since my laptop was getting old and slow anyway, so I decided that I will switch to Linux slowly, as I’ve heard that it is notably less resource hungry. So, I formatted my entire disk and partitioned into 5 parts:

1. windows installation (NTFS)
  2. storage only for windows softwares (NTFS)
  3. Manjaro installation (ext4)
  4. storage only for Manjaro applications (ext4)
  5. common storage for windows and Manjaro (exFAT)

(I think the actual order of partitions in the disk are different, but I’ve no idea whether that matters here or not.)

Both the installations were successful and I am now able to use both. However, there are a few problems:

1. The names of the partitions 3 and 4, that I specified during partitioning are not visible from Windows. So from there, both seems to be exactly same (I gave them same size, so that’s more confusing). But the names of the partitions 1 and 2 are visible from Manjaro normally. Is there anything to be done so that it is possible to distinguish two Manjaro partitions from Windows?
  2. When I save something in the common storage partition from Windows, it is visible from Manjaro. This is true for both files and folders. I can edit them also as I want. But it is not the other way around. If I create a folder or file in that partition, from Windows I see nothing (not even with hidden files flag on). If I create a file in Windows and then edit in Linux and then try to access it from Windows, the file is no longer readable. I tried with just the word test, so I hope that encoding or line ending is not the issue. What do I need to do to have a partition to share data from both operating systems?

I suppose I’m not sure whether these two problems are because of Windows - Linux, pr are these problems of dual boot. Had I installed multiple Linux distributions, will they have these type of communication problems as well?

Hopefully some of you will be kind enough to help me with these issues.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

With regard to your issue no. 1 start providing output of

sudo parted -l
lsblk -f

I use exFAT as well on USB sticks and have no problems in accessing it from both worlds.

Thanks for replying, @Wollie.

here are the outputs:

~ >>> sudo parted -l                                                                                                   
Model: ATA HGST HTS541010A9 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  106MB   105MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, esp
 2      106MB   123MB   16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres
 3      123MB   124GB   124GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 4      124GB   125GB   530MB   ntfs                                       hidden, diag
 5      125GB   250GB   125GB   ext4
 6      250GB   375GB   125GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 7      375GB   500GB   125GB   ext4
 8      500GB   1000GB  500GB                                              msftdata

~ >>> lsblk -f                                                                                                         
NAME   FSTYPE FSVER LABEL          UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
sda                                                                                    
├─sda1 vfat   FAT32                5289-4D21                              70.8M    26% /boot/efi
├─sda2                                                                                 
├─sda3 ntfs         Windows        32B68F0BB68ECEB3                                    
├─sda4 ntfs                        D2461D85461D6B8B                                    
├─sda5 ext4   1.0   Manjaro        851486a3-0c87-43fd-a266-22c920364516   98.4G     9% /
├─sda6 ntfs         WindowsStorage D47A2F887A2F6708                                    
├─sda7 ext4   1.0   ManjaroStorage 6751615a-ab80-4351-a6ae-d8162ef93e98                
└─sda8 exfat  1.0   CommonStore    92A9-6051                                           
sr0

It looks OK. As the ext4 partitions can’t be accessed from Windows (ext4 is not known to Windoze) why you need to identify them? The two partitions have a different UUID, so if you note this number I guess this could be seen from Windoze as well.

It’s mainly for my mental satisfaction, I guess. After my Windows got corrupted, i had to install it (an Manjaro) multiple times because every time there was some problems. I never really did annything of these kind of things before. So, there’s a chance that something will happen again, I need to know which partition has the data.

I don’t know how to do that. i found this link, but that output is very different from these.

Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount points are:

\\?\Volume{adebe51c-79cb-4ae9-ac05-673db1677b85}\
        C:\

\\?\Volume{b4edc243-36a1-48f7-ab03-0c31758e5efe}\
        *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{82e357fc-a201-4261-955c-49c2b9d51407}\
        E:\

\\?\Volume{eb371618-b152-41ef-817e-f3e8cd74fc35}\
        D:\

\\?\Volume{4e04e237-7906-4e96-ae08-ac1e377feffa}\
        *** NO MOUNT POINTS ***

\\?\Volume{6a8efc46-dd14-11ea-b6d0-806e6f6e6963}\
        H:\

At this point, I should admit that I do not know what are UUID and GUID and what are their differences, but according to this, they should are same. So, why are they different for my case?

Why not shrinking your Manjaro partition /dev/sda5 by let’s say 4 GiB, make the 4 GiB your swap partition then you can determine by size which one is your system and which is your data partition.

That’s because it didn’t occur to me! I’ll do that the first thing in the afternoon.

This takes care of Problem 1. Can you please help in Problem 2 as well? If I have separate USB sticks, FAT works fine (didn’t try with exFAT). But for /dev/sda8, it is working only from Linux. Files created in Manjaro are completely inaccessible from Windows.

I’ve took backup of the exFAT drive, reformatted it as NTFS and after that it works as I had hoped.

I do not understand why exFAT didn’t work, but in case someone else faces this in future, you can try this.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.