Problems with Partition Schema (after Windows 10 Install)

I’ve read through a number of posts on similar issues. After installing Windows 10, it installs a System Reserved partition and doesn’t load grub2.

What I’ve been unable to find is what the partition schema should look like in a successful dual boot. Should grub be in its own 100MB partition or in the Manjaro partition?

Attached is my current table:

I was open to just doing a fresh install of Manjaro (with no Windows), but the installer wouldn’t let me wipe the partitions and was forcing me to install on just one.

Think path of least resistance (and best knowledge learned) would be to better understand how to actually configure grub rather than doing a fresh install. Any help is appreciated.

Use search in forum :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply. Very familiar with the search and had already read that. Not seeing the EFI partition in my table, which is why I think it was overwritten.

Additionally, this was about installing Linux over Windows – but mine’s the inverse :slight_smile:

Any thoughts/advice with that in mind?

You tried

efibootmgr -v
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
findmnt -s
findmnt /boot/efi

All but the first. It’s saying “EFI variables are not supported on this system.”

I’m able to mount the Manjaro partition via a live usb. My concern is that Windows didn’t install via a UEFI method but rather at the BIOS, which would make the grub configuration on my Manjaro partition useless.

It seems correct, so no worries for a boot or grub partition.
You just need to boot to Manjaro and re-install grub to MBR.
Use your installer ISO/USB to boot and follow this guide

1 Like

hi @AgentS!

For anyone reading this, it seems like the issue was that windows automatically loads in bios not uefi. So i just deleted the windows partition and updated the manjaro grub to get it as the primary again :slight_smile:

Thanks @SGS and @AgentS for the help!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by Bytemark