Change app icons in KDE

I’m using Plasma 5.20.

While the rest of my KDE color scheme is based on black and red, a lot of my app icons are white and blue or purple (Zoom, Chromium, Discord etc). I’ve made a set of red icons for those programs but don’t know how to add them. I’ve been thinking about making an icon scheme but that seems unnecessary.

Is there a simple way to change one program’s icon in KDE to appear differently in Latte, Panels, or any other program that would need it? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Moved to the KDE category. How did I not see that before?

Yes, you can do that. Right-click on the icon and choose “Properties”. You’ll then see a dialog for the application, with multiple tabs. The first tab contains the icon, which is a clickable button.

If you click it, then you can set another icon, but you must select “Other Icons” and then hit the Browse button. You can then navigate to where the icon is that you want.

However ─ this is important ─ an application whose icon has been changed this way will only have said icon there where you changed it. It will still appear with its theme-configured icon everywhere else, including in the task manager widget and the system menu.

Therefore, if you really want it to be consistent, then perhaps creating an actual icon theme would be the proper way to go. But it’s a lot of work, and I’d personally rather not be in your shoes if you want to go there. :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks again aragorn! exactly what i needed to know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.