Problems with LDM and with run tty

Hello,
I’ m new Manjaro user and I have been using it for a few months. Anyway yesterday I did a big system update (20.1 i guess) and then shut down my computer. Today, in morning I turned on my computer and I have received this message:

[FAILED]Failed to start **Light Display Manager**

So I start googling, how to solve this problem and I found a solution on this forum:
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/failed-to-start-light-display-manager-after-update/23449
But I but i can’t get to shell after rebooting. CTR+ALT+F1,F2… etc. doesnt working. Please advise me how to solve this problem then I’ll try it fix it myself what I found here on the forum. Thanks a lot.

Try to boot in text mode instead of graphical mode ones

set multi-user-target for only one boot in grub.

• Push “e” in your grub menu and change the linux line (the line that includes vmlinux). At the end you need to put “3” after that start grub with “ctrl+x” and you should be staring in text mode instead of graphical.

Change what you have to change and reboot “systemctl reboot” to reboot in graphical mode.

Thanks for respond SLaItEr, I did what you wrote me and you think this line, right?

linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64 root=UUID=cf8ceb8d-e08e-40c0-b0b0-1d55bf954854 rw quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3

Well it was set already with “3” on end of line. After that I press CTRL+X it appears “^X”, it is text mode? I sorry for me, but I’m still new and have big difficulties with Linux.

Are you using an Nvidia GPU and do you have cuda installed? If so uninstall cuda I had a similar problem and actually reverted to the previous driver but now I got the current one installed the difference was that I had to uninstall cuda.
Assuming I was correct about the above to the following.
Once you get past the Manjaro boot menu press Ctrl+alt+F3 to get too try
Then run mhwd -r video-nvidia-440xx
Them mhwd -i video-nvidia-450xx and sudo pacman -S video-nvidia-450xx-utils
Then reboot
I may be a little off on the exact package names I’m trying to remember them for memory but hopefully that is correct.

Hello LinuxLoverForever!

I know that, recently I read your post and I planning make exactly what you recommend. But I still cant use text mode and make a next step. Its very frustrating for me, I use Manjaro like normal user. I solve a few problems, because I was easy, but this is a little bit much over me. Yes I have Nvidia GPU and without CUDA, when I solve this problem with LDM I will look at it.

No that 3 has to do with the loglevel (logs in console) and not with starting in graphical or text mode.

SO behind that 3 another 3

linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.8-x86_64 root=UUID=cf8ceb8d-e08e-40c0-b0b0-1d55bf954854 rw quiet apparmor=1 security=apparmor udev.log_priority=3 3

and start (perhaps F10 works better as ctrl+x)

You should be able to get into text mode that way.

I did what you wrote, but I got this message:

Failed to parse "udev.log_priority=33", ignoring: Operating not permited

You forget a space between the 3’s :wink: :

My mistake. Ok, I get into text mode and follow instructions by LinuxLoverForever and install video-linux, then I try uniinstal nvidia drivers, but it end with error.

checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing linux57 breaks dependency 'linux57' required by linux-latest
:: removing linux57-nvidia-340xx breaks dependency 'linux57-nvidia-340xx required by linux-latest-nvidia-340xx
error: pacman failed!
error: script failed!

In another thread someone this solve by command:

sudo pacman -Rcsnu linux-latest

I should try this command too?

Ok, I solve it. I use sudo pacman -Rcsnu linux57-nvidia-340xx to erase this package and then mhwd -r pci video-nvidia-340xx to eliminate dependent packages. Now I have only linux video drivers and I’m in system. I want thank you, SLaItEr and LinuxLoverForever for help.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.