Problems to install another desktop

Hi,

I got the same problem with any desktop i try to install:

[kaos keos]# LANG=C pacman -S manjaro-budgie-settings manjaro-settings-manager papirus-maia-icon-theme
warning: manjaro-settings-manager-0.5.6-2 is up to date -- reinstalling
warning: papirus-maia-icon-theme-20181011-1 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: manjaro-budgie-settings and manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings are in conflict (manjaro-desktop-settings). Remove manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings? [y/N] 

I tried gnome kde and many others ... what is wrong with xfce gtk3 here?

Thank you very much for ...

The settings files conflict because they share files in /etc/skel. You can only have one of them installed at a time.

You can always not install manjaro-budgie-settings and just customize the budgie desktop yourself. Alternatively, you could let it remove manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings

1 Like

I tried to do it by myself, not installing the manjaro-budgie-settings, but it was very complicated it comes without any option to do anything, not even a terminal ... 'right click', at any area and nothing happened ...

My prefered desktop is xfce, What could be the consecuencies of to remove the manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings?.

Thanks.

To have the settings take effect you need to copy the contents of the folder /etc/skel to your home folder.

Remember to include hidden files - most filemanager have an option to show/hide hidden files.

how ... if i'm not abel to have any access to budgie desktop.

If you can't access the desktop, right-click or access a terminal, something is wrong. Installing the settings package probably won't fix that.

We should try to resolve your issues before worrying about settings.

Have you tried creating a new user and using it to login to budgie?

There is usually more to it than just installing a settings package.

The settings package not always pull the packages needed for the desktop.

@dalto said you may need to worry about other things.

But you could try switching to a terminal, login and create a new user. Replace <new-username> with the username of choice.

Use CtrlShiftF4
Input your username and password

sudo useradd -mU <new-username>

Create a password for the user

sudo passwd <new-username>

Then reboot your system and try loggin in with the new user.

@dalto I agree with you in one thing, yes, 'something is wrong' ... maybe it is my ignorance. :cry:

Forget about budgie, it is the only one with that kind of problem ... and as a matter of fact i will prefer cinnamon or mate ...

But let's see first if i can understand.
Are you asking me to go to /etc/skel and copy the whole folder named 'skel' and past it at home? or to open the folder and copy and paste the files overthere at home? :hot_face:

I forgot, just in case, i already installed Deepin desktop and do not ask for to remove anything!. The only problem is it is a king of gnome and gnome never worked fine here in my PC.

@linux-aarhus i'm not abel to open a terminal at budgie.

I didn't say anything about terminal - I am talking about TTY (which also is a terminal) - you switch to it using a combo of CtrlShift and F1 .. F6

I see now, i understand, well, can you please tell me ...

it is something like

cp -R /etc/skel/.* ~

Use

cp -Ri /etc/skel/.* ~

To verify overwriting existing files

Edit: Sorry for the misleading sudo - my fault - I am so used to the terminal I sometimes forget where to use sudo and where to absolutely not.

@dalto - thank you for correcting my error.

1 Like
[keos@kaos ~]$ LANG=C  sudo cp -R /etc/skel/*. ~
cp: cannot stat '/etc/skel/*.': No such file or directory
[keos@kaos ~]$  LANG=C sudo cp -Ri /etc/skel/.* ~
cp: overwrite '/home/keos/./.config/Kvantum/kvantum.kvconfig'? 
cp: overwrite '/home/keos/./.config/Thunar/uca.xml'? 

I am not exactly sure what you are trying to do at this point.

When you create a new users the files from /etc/skel are automatically copied into the new user. It doesn't require anything special on your part.

Don't use sudo to copy files into your home folder. That will break permissions which will then have to be fixed.

If you want to copy the files into your existing home folder you can do so with:
/usr/bin/cp -rf /etc/skel/. ~

But doing that may erase some of your existing settings. That is why it is better to simply create different user.

Lastly, if you haven't installed the settings package, why are you trying to copy files from /etc/skel?

Well, the whole thing is getting to become to complicated for me now ...

What are the consecuencies if i remove the manjaro-xfce-gtk3-settings?.

thanks.

Removing it may remove things like desktop settings and wallpapers.

That being said, running multiple desktops is somewhat complicated. If the above instructions seem complicated, it may not be the right path for you.

Well, yes, you are right, but it was to late for me ... see my other post ...:anguished::anguished::anguished: