Problems getting grub to load on dual boot

I’m sorry if this question has been asked before, but I could not find anything to my specific situation.

I recently removed my old ubuntu install from a Dual boot setup, but it gave me a lot of problems. When I finally removed it and tried to setup Manjaro it was giving my problems such as not detecting the bootable usb on start up. After I got it to install the grub menu didn’t come up when I reboot the system, it goes straight to Windows 10.

How can I get it to go to the grub loader when I start the computer? I have checked that the bios is in UEFI, but I couldn’t find a bootloader like when I had my ubuntu installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

By removing Ubuntu you most likely also removed GRUB from the Ubuntu disk. That’s why it doesn’t start now.
But you don’t need it since it is not correct anymore, Ubuntu is gone and most likely would be still in Grub.
What you need to do is make sure the PC boots from your USB device. This can be done in the BIOS, or during boot by pressing repeatedly a function key which will give you a list of devices to boot from. This all depends on your computer. Look it up and boot into the USB device where you can start your new OS in a live version.

So will I always have to have the USB connected to boot into Manjaro?

No, of course not. You need it once to install the OS to your hard drive and from that moment on you boot from the hard disk using GRUB, which will also have found Windows so you can choose again which OS you want to use.

Manjaro is already installed on a separate hard drive. The problem is that I can’t get grub to come up on boot. It just goes to Windows 10.

This is different than:

Now my best guess is that you boot into the live USB and from there chroot into your Manjaro installation to restore grub. But somebody else, with much more knowledge of that, has to help you.

So guys, how about helping this person restoring Grub?

If you had installed Manaro with a bootloader and was installed in UEFI, Manjaro grub will still be there.
When computer start up, press the boot-setup key (usually F8 ~ F12), select that boot0rder named ‘manjaro’ and that should boot Manjaro.

When booted, at terminal

sudo grub-install

[provided of course, you have a /boot/efi mounted when installing and in fstab].

If you have other means of booting, say from windows eCB or grub4dos or something like that, you have better tell us now, otherwise what you proceed may actually cause more problems.

You can also try booting up Manjaro live cd, 17.0.2 or later and you can use this or this to boot Manjaro.

If grub was not installed at all, you can still use it to boot following this post to manually input the vmlinz kernel and initramfs. Then when booted, install grub and ‘grub-install’ and ‘update-grub’.

If you still need help, provide
sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
/etc/fstab of installed Manjaro OS.

Thank you. Will try the suggestions.

I found what I did wrong (I think atleast). When I was installing Manjaro on a seperate drive, it didn’t add the EFI to the correct location. It made its own one on the drive itself. So I dumped that install and redid it making sure the EFI went to the correct place.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.