What to do after installation?

Hello I just installed Linux Manjaro XFCE on my laptop (Acer Aspire A315-51)
I never used linux before this is my first time so I dont know what to do after installation :frowning:

But I do know I have to install and update drivers and install linux updates.
Can someone tell me how to do this? pls if you know something help me out. :slight_smile:

Much appreciated !.

1 Like

there is a round tray icon with an upward arrow,you open it and in the menu click refresh databases and then apply to install the updates,
or in a terminal type: sudo pacman -Syyu

there are many things i do after install,but it depends on your choices;
you should maybe check the manjaro wiki to see how itā€™s done.

i install a firewall,choose my repositories mirrors,enable Trim if itā€™s an ssd that supports it,take a snapshot with Timeshift, and so on.

1 Like

Thank you for answer :slight_smile: So if i update with database will it also updates my drivers?

as far as i know,yes.
but maybe more advanced forum members can provide a better informed answer.

1 Like

Thank you so much! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

After installation I would recommend reading the Manjaro Wiki, especially the section called ā€œCustomization and Configurationā€. It contains a lot of useful information:
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Main_Page#Customization_and_Configuration

Another good read is the ā€œGeneral recommendationsā€ from the Arch Wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/General_recommendations

A lot of the things mentioned in this page are valid for Manjaro as well. Overall, the Arch Wiki is the first place to search for information regarding Arch or Arch-based systems.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer i will check it out. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I guess the biggest question is what are you going to use your laptop for? Gaming, photo editing, coding, music? A lot of windows apps are available natively in linux like Dropbox, Telegram, Spotify, Steam etc. For others there are open source alternatives like thunderbird, gimp etc

1 Like

I want to watch movies and browsing youtube and other daily tasks :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum :wave:

Iā€™ve made a checklist what I mostly do after a installation of a new OS and adapted it to Manjaro, it might give some insight or tips to pursue.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome Iā€™ll check it out. :kissing_heart: Thanks.

The best thing you can do is to work - do the tasks you usually do - if it is coding - get aqainted with the system - learn how to navigate etc.

The often recommended answer is to syncronise your system - disable sync messages etc - and get to know your system.

1 Like

Yep Iā€™m trying as best I could Thanks for the reply :kissing_heart:

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.