Problem with two of my partitions

hi
i'm new at this and i dont know how to shortly ask my question cause i got so much to say about it so i explained it deeply
sorry about that

in installing i change the size of one of my drives and in the middle of this process sth went wrong and it interrupted so i install manjaro without any changing of my partions
and my drive didn't mount at all after that
then i was installing programs and then another of my drives sda7 disappeared and i do some works and see sda7 is loading before my sda6 partition
and the sort of my partitions are wrong
i do some work with cfdisk but it can't write i don't know why
there are important file in sda7 i need them for sure
i can do recovery with testdisk but i don't know if there is a way without losing any of my files :slightly_frowning_face:

for hard disk partitioning i swear by gparted as it gives a simple gui that helps resize partitions without issue. Just be careful because it is a powerful tool.

I would boot from a pen drive that has the manjaro on it and run sudo gparted from that in a terminal to get your drives sorted out.

you can use gparted (with ext4 partitions and ntfs partitions) to copy whol partitions to an external drive to back them up. though if you do that you should change the uuid after copying them in gparted otherwise they will conflict if you have two partitions with the same uuid.

Hello,

1 Like

i did use gparted but it shows my drives like this
sry about the screenshot cause i found another issue right in the middle of this and its black screenshotπŸ˜‘

Disk: /dev/sda
           Size: 931.53 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
                       Label: dos, identifier: 0x4fb04faf

Device       Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
>>  /dev/sda1               2048  488376060  488374013 232.9G 83 Linux          
    /dev/sda3          488376061 1953503999 1465127939 698.6G  5 Extended
    β”œβ”€/dev/sda5        488376063  976748543  488372481 232.9G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    β”œβ”€/dev/sda6       1465128063 1953503999  488375937 232.9G 83 Linux
    └─/dev/sda7        976750592 1465126911  488376320 232.9G 83 Linux
    Free space        1953505280 1953525167      19888   9.7M

β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
 β”‚ Partition type: Linux (83)                                                 β”‚
 β”‚Filesystem UUID: 14784785-1a59-4c32-b2f8-531395165b0f                       β”‚
 β”‚     Filesystem: crypto_LUKS                                                β”‚
 β””β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜
     [Bootable]  [ Delete ]  [ Resize ]  [  Quit  ]  [  Type  ]  [  Help  ]
     [  Sort  ]  [  Write ]  [  Dump  ]
          Note that partition table entries are not in disk order now.
                      Quit program without writing changes

i did use sort and write option but it says "Did not write partition table to disk."
and as you see my drives format were ntfs in gparted and now linux in cfdisk

The best method is to image your entire drive to another larger drive using dd, then use testdisk to try and recover the partitions off of the copied drive.

The longer you continue to use the drive in its corrupted state the more you risk doing irreparable damage that will make it very difficult (or impossible) to recover your data from. Image your drive immediately if you want any hope of recovering your data. You can try a testdisk recovery directly from the damaged drive, but if something goes wrong, bye bye data.

1 Like

thanks i did it and recover some of my important data but one of my drives is completely damaged so it can't be recovered with anything and so bye bye data :grin:

1 Like

Their is a last ditch method to try with the damaged disk.
Put it in a plastic bag and seal it, place in freezer for 24 hrs then quickly plug back in try to recover data,
This works for some but not all it did work for me once

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by