Grub config can’t be saved: /usr/bin/grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem

Hello,
since an update this June I’ve had the following problem: First booting didn’t work because the kernel image file could not be found. First I suspected a corrupted filesystem, but fsck didn’t find anything. After some time I found out that I can start with the kernel 5.15.60-1(current LTS) when choosing in the grub menu. So I can still get into the system. But when trying to install new kernels with the Manjaro settings manager (Einstellungsmanager in German) or with update-grubin the shell it fails with /usr/bin/grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem.

 /home/jens  LANG=C                                                                                                                     1 ✘  root@gram  
    /home/jens  update-grub                                                                                                                  ✔  root@gram  
Generating grub configuration file ...                                                                                                                           
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64                                                                                                                     
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64.img                                                                                        
/usr/bin/grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem.                                                                                                                  
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-x86_64-fallback.img                                                                                            
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.15-rt-x86_64                                                                                                                  
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.15-rt-x86_64.img                                                                                     
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.15-rt-x86_64-fallback.img                                                                                         
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-5.14-x86_64                                                                                                                     
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64.img                                                                                        
Found initrd fallback image: /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64-fallback.img                                                                                            
Warning: os-prober will be executed to detect other bootable partitions.                                                                                         
Its output will be used to detect bootable binaries on them and create new boot entries.                                                                         
Adding boot menu entry for UEFI Firmware Settings ...     

For the Manjaro main partition I have chosen F2FS. The output of fdisk -l is:

   /home/jens  fdisk -l                                                                                                                   1 ✘  root@gram 
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 953,87 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: HFS001TD9TNG-L2A0A                       
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: DB836526-8B6F-8248-A795-FB43C8D7011C

Device              Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1       4096     618495     614400   300M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2     618496 1964959702 1964341207 936,7G Linux filesystem
/dev/nvme0n1p3 1964959703 2000397734   35438032  16,9G Linux filesystem                                                                                          

Disk /dev/mapper/luks-dccc69d8-69ae-4728-8806-1a950897c316: 936,67 GiB, 1005740600832 bytes, 1964337111 sectors                                                  

Disk /dev/mapper/luks-b1fc9740-a686-47a4-b370-b07d695b9794: 16,9 GiB, 18142175232 bytes, 35433936 sectors                                                        

Disk /dev/loop1: 55,56 MiB, 58261504 bytes, 113792 sectors                                                                                                       

[… until /dev/loop14]

I have been using this laptop (LG gram) since last summer with Manjaro, and never had a problem with kernel updates or booting before.

So how can I repair it?

You said that you can boot into the system when using the kernel 5.15 LTS.

But you have 3 different kernels: 5.15 LTS, 5.15-RT and 5.14.
What kernel did you choose that it can’t boot into the system because of /usr/bin/grub-probe: error: unknown filesystem?

Edit://

Try to run sudo mkinitcpio -P then sudo update-grub

1 Like

As far as I know Manjaro’s grub doesn’t support F2FS with extra_attr enabled (I think it is the default) for the boot partition (or the partition that holds the /boot folder)

See: GRUB - ArchWiki

I had the exact problem with my F2FS partition. For me, the upgrade to grub 2.06 r261 caused the issue. I was able to rollback to a previous version of grub (2.06) that worked perfectly.

This isn’t the best solution, but that’s the only one I’ve found for F2FS users.