Problem with gimp-git (or not)

gimp

I’ve been having a problem building the gimp-git AUR package, although I think the problem may well be external to the package. The error messages occur while building the help browser:

/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/../../../../lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `cairo_gl_surface_get_width'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/../../../../lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `cairo_gl_surface_get_height'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/../../../../lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `cairo_gl_device_set_thread_aware'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/../../../../lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `cairo_egl_device_create'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/../../../../lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `cairo_gl_surface_create_for_texture'
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.2.0/../../../../lib/libwebkitgtk-1.0.so: undefined reference to `cairo_glx_device_create'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

My suspicion is a problem with libwebkitgtk or cairo – but I don’t know which. The versions of the relevant packages are:

local/cairo 1.15.8-2
    2D graphics library with support for multiple output devices
 local/webkitgtk2 2.4.11-6
    Legacy Web content engine for GTK+ 2

I have seen the same problem on two different machines with different graphics cards (one Radeon, one Intel).

So for now two questions:

1. Has anybody else built gimp-get recently and if so what did you need to do if anything?
  2. Has anybody had any issues with building anything else that uses webkitgtk or cairo?

Not really, but I must inquire why are you installing gimp through AUR when it is already available through pacman and manjaro’s repos? Maintaining gimp-git from aur is going to be a pain, more often then not recompiling the code for your machine.

Please downgrade cairo to version 1.14.8

If you don’t have cairo package available locally to downgrade, please downgrade it with this command :

sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/c/cairo/cairo-1.14.8-1-$(uname -m).pkg.tar.xz

Note: Please never use AUR packages for daily use as they are possess potential risks and problems and they also are not officaly supported by manjaro

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

Because gimp 2.9 has many useful features not available in 2.8 – most importantly proper 16-bit image support.

Problem for me too.

PenguinRage asked:
I must inquire why are you installing gimp through AUR when it is already available through pacman and manjaro’s repos?

Because gimp is so ancient in Manjaro.

2.9 series Gimp has many improvements.

Im on Manjaro testing and a year old version seems strange to me. No Photographers using Arch ??, as same upstream too.

Most photographers would use something else than GIMP for the photo stuff. Like Darktable.
If you want GIMP to get updated to 2.9, you should but the maintainers of the Arch package, why it is not updated yet. Newest is 2.9.8 ccording to the Github Releases.

Simplest solution I’ve found (at least for the time being) is to add “–without-webkit” to the configure command in the PKGBUILD file.

Just saw this from Philm after feature request.

It is now available from our unstable branch via sudo pacman -Sy gimp-devel.

That is very good news.

@strit, please consider Manjaro is based on Arch, but not Arch… Manjaro is growing fast and attracting new users who could be quickly upset by an answer like yours. Gimp is maybe the best known programme outside of the Linux cage. Just search for Image editing, a choice between stable and developers version just as logical as using Libreoffice fresh and VLC nightly builds. They too are under development and both in my experience for private usage the tool of choice. Darktable is my tool of choice for RAW but most consumers will not even know what that is let alone use it.

Like I don’t know this. But GIMP is normally a package Manjaro gets from Arch. So better go to the source, instead of putting more work on the Manjaro Team.

What answer? The answer to go to Upstream, instead of making downstream fix upstreams errors? If that’s the case, then fine. I’ll scare off those users.

What a great guy you are, Im really impressed. Manjaro is a distribution based on Arch. Arch does what it wants they decide what is good for their users who are mostly experts or on the way to that. Scaring off new users is ignorance…

Thank you. Glad you think so.

Actually the current gimp version is dated 16/06/2017 not 1 year as you say the dev version is where it should be in AUR the Arch official repro is for stable.
Plus a good photographer does not photoshop/gimp photos they take photos not amateur snapshots I learned that after spending hard earned money taking a 2 year photoshop degree. and not getting any work published in photo magazines, only to be told by a master photographer you can only make a bad photo worse in photoshop.

GIMP 2.8.22 Bug fix release. 20 Years of GIMP, release 2.8.16
2015-11-22 updated stable version released. Makes it in earth time somewhat more than one year old.

GIMP 2.9.2 Released 2015-11-27 first development release of new series.

Plus a good photographer does not photoshop/gimp photos they take photos not amateur snapshots.
That is funny.

Developement versions are just what they are labelled testing, Arch only releases stable versions that is why their is AUR for users that don’t value their work or computer that is not saying it will not work.
If you bothered to read the comments you would see this Please add glib-networking to makedepends, otherwise the package doesn’t build. or install that package 1st.
Always read the relevant AUR page before blindly trying to install then complaining.
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gimp-devel/ give you the answer to why it did not build.
You try entering a real photo competition after using photoshop!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.