Problem Switching Graphic Cards With bbswitch

I noticed that MHWD generally struggles with uninstallation. So to fix it, uninstall all mhwd configurations:

video-modesetting 

and

video-hybrid-intel-nvidia-450xx-prime

and then install your drivers again by using:

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

All in the same session. Once you are done, reboot. In my experience, this usually fixes are pains with drivers. However, you must go later through driver configs, as showed on the optimus-manager guide and check if conf’s aren’t brought back. If so, disable them again, so they wouldn’t conflict with optimus-manager.

Alright, this might take more than a couple minutes, and it’s pretty late right now, I will read the ACPI params you’ve put and reinstall all drivers tomorrow. Would you mind if I sent you a DM if I get busy and can’t continue tomorrow?

I’ve had too many bad experiences already to do this once again :sweat:

DM? Meaning? For me DM is Display Manager. Did you mean PM (Private Message)? The thing is, I have a huge project before me and I probably won’t have time to check forums. I will be working 10-11 hours per day for a while, so helping others on forum won’t be possible, so I can’t promise anything.

Just tried adding the ACPI parameter but I’m still getting the same errors, used this link, I’m running Windows 10, version 2004, so I used acpi_osi='Windows 2020'.

All the errors are of this kind:

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.GPLD], AE_ALREre creating named object [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.GPLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20200528/dswload2-326)
ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20200528/psobject-220)

Also, the last few lines of journalctl show:

Oct 01 02:12:18 studio systemd-modules-load[302]: Failed to find module 'nvidia'
Oct 01 02:12:18 studio systemd-modules-load[302]: Failed to find module 'nvidia-drm'
Oct 01 02:12:20 studio kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: disp: chid 0 mthd 008c data 00000000 0000508c 0000102c
Oct 01 02:12:20 studio systemd-udevd[429]: could not read from '/sys/module/pcc_cpufreq/initstate': No such device
Oct 01 02:12:25 studio bluetoothd[986]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Oct 01 02:12:30 studio gdm-password][1455]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

Well, some errors are just from hardware and you can’t do much about it. I also have some errors and live with them - I see no consequences anyway.

ACPI errors happen quite often, and they can manifest in various ways, so this could impact a small, not noticeable thing. You can try google the error, maybe something can be done. If not, ignore it.

Those should walk away when you reinstall all driver configurations.

Oct 01 02:12:25 studio bluetoothd[986]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)

Some bluetooth issue, not relevant here. May be a minor issue.

studio gdm-password][1455]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

This sounds suspicious. Optimus-manager uses DM to switch between sessions and during the switch DM should ask for password. If that can’t work, DM may be erroring out and that conflicts with optinus-manager. Of course, it may be also some minor issue that has no important consequences. At this moment I have only suspicions and I may be wrong. Google it.

I ask again, did you install gdm-prime? It’s needed for optimus-manager with gdm.

As a side note, even if you have gdm-prime, it often hangs in a black screen. GDM in general works badly with optimus-manager.

Yes, I do have it installed:

Do I need to have libgdm-prime as well? I don’t remember seeing that anywhere.
I’ve always ignored ACPI errors, ever since I had Ubuntu installed as I never really faced a problem, and I haven’t faced any practical issue on Manjaro either, so I’m going to ignore them.

Yeah, probably it’s good to install libgdm-prime. Without it, gdm-prime will work like usual gdm, at least this is how I understand it.

Okay, installing it now. About reinstalling the graphic drivers, do you think using the manjaro settings GUI app would do? Or there a cleaner method?

Terminal is usually more talkative, so if something is wrong, you get more answers there. Basically:

sudo mhwd -r pci video-nvidia (or name of the any driver you wish to uninstall)

and then use the:

sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300

to install the newest drivers automatically.

To be precise, that what you see on the list are not drivers per se. Those are DRIVER CONFIGURATIONS, so they contain one or more drivers, plus proper packages plus proper configs that are already set so the whole should work.

In Manjaro it’s best to use mhwd for those operations. Manual actions usually break things. So learn about mhwd and use it, either by UI or terminal. As said, terminal is usually more informative but you can use whatever you prefer.

Done. journalctl still outputs this though:

Oct 01 02:59:14 studio kernel: nouveau 0000:01:00.0: disp: chid 0 mthd 008c data 00000000 0000508c 0000102c
Oct 01 02:59:18 studio bluetoothd[935]: Failed to set mode: Blocked through rfkill (0x12)
Oct 01 02:59:24 studio gdm-password][1462]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

Also I tried switching GPUs using nouveau, but no result, I just get logged out and see the company logo.

Sorry, don’t have more time today. If you try all possible ways to fix it, uninstall optimus-manager, revert configs to active state and try optimus-switch. It’s more basic but also less prone to issues because it switches cards during reboot, not during session switch, so DM doesn’t come into play here.

I have moved the 90-mhwd.conf to a .bak file. And this is what I have in /etc/X11:

.  ..  mhwd.d  xinit  xorg.conf.d

Should I touch any of the other two? Switching doesn’t work even now.

Oh my god, it’s working!

But it’s a workaround of sorts, when I switch I hit the company logo, but then if I open tty1 it opens the login screen~

1 Like

So GDM is still malfunctioning, but at least it’s not a show stopper now.

1 Like

I’m more than just fine to have it this way, atleast it works. Thanks a ton for staying with me!

1 Like

Please, open your own topic. Hijkacking some else topics is considered to be a bad practice, plus it lessens your chances to get a support, because your posts will be lost in different replays.

Also, see this:

Yeah I planned on doing that… the thing is, there is a “Solution” in another topic on the forums but it’s not a complete solution and I’ve verified that, at least, with the one who last used it. I apologize; I’m new to the forums. How would I refer to the topic that has the same hardware, same setup of which I’m almost disputing (in a way)? I wasn’t really trying to “hijack” … I just thought it was okay to do a related reply of which I say “hey, dealing with something similar” … my apologies though. I’m guessing my topic will just be overlooked now that I “hijacked” … heh… not to mention a similar title/info. Regardless, I deleted the post. Sorry about that.

Each user has a different situation: different hardware, different software, different configuration. Mixing two situations, even similar ones, makes the topic to be messy and unfocused.

Just create a new topic, choose a good name, give your hardware and setup info as well as you can, describe your issue, post to the topics that are related in your opinion and show what you did.

I did the best I could. I sorta tried to make it look a little different (title) and my issue is described there… did simple diagnostics, mentioned my setup… showed the xorg conf file… that same user is the only person on this earth right now that has the rich man’s version of my hardware (but same drivers do apply, same with the workaround)

It’s messy.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.